Author Topic: where were/are these streets  (Read 1493 times)

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where were/are these streets
« on: Wednesday 05 July 17 04:24 BST (UK) »
My great grand mother was born in Kings Place Camden Town London in 1847. By the time her
birth was registered she was in Middlesex St. I have looked on several old map sites  without
success. Can some kind rootschatter point me in the right direction ?
                                                                                                        Pwh

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where were/are these streets
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
My great grand mother was born in Kings Place Camden Town London in 1847. By the time her
birth was registered she was in Middlesex St.

Both Kings Pl and Middlesex Street were in Somers Town, adjacent to Camden Town.
You can see both marked on this map (top right corner)
http://mapco.net/cary1837/cary19a.htm

Middlesex Street is now part of Purchese Street, London NW1.

(I'm afraid reply #1 is mistaken about Middlesex Street. The Middlesex Street that is now Petticoat Lane is in the East End of London.)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
Second thoughts about Kings Place. There are two in the 1851 census street index in Pancras RD.

If the registration subdistrict given on the birth certificate is Camden Town, it’s probably the one off King Street, which is off Camden High Street.

This Kings Place is enumerated in the 1851 census between Little King Street South and Gloucester Place (HO107/1497 folios 221-222). So it’s probably the unnamed right-angled street showing between those streets at the foot of this map (off Bayham Street South). I suspect this street is now the western end of Bayham Place, London NW1 0ET (on a modern map).

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
According to Streets of St Pancras from the Camden History Society

King's Place was lost to the Midland Railway Pancras Road coal drops
Middlesex Street was north of Chapel Street and partly lost to the Midland Ry Somers Town Goods Depot

Quoting...

The street pattern hereabouts [Somers Town] changed radically after the arrival of the Midland Railway. Middlesex Street, which once crossed Phoenix Street here, was home to colonies of costermongers and of woodcutters, both male and female. It was noted for its 'marine stores', shops selling very cheap goods; one Victorian observer remarked that their presence was "suggestive not so much of thrift as of extreme poverty". Middlesex Street vanished in the 1890s to be replaced by Purchese Street"

and

Walk down the steps of St Pancras Old Church, cross Pancras Road and turn left along the opposite side. Look back across the churchyard  where begins a long row of brick and coal drops... It is hard to picture it now but this was once the site of Pancras Wells, a fashionable 18th century spa though by 1722 the spa's reputation had declined [due to]complaints about "scandalous company" and dancing... The spa had closed by 1797 when the first houses [were] built over the gardens. These were picturesque Church Hill which climbed gently eastward (overlooking the Churchyard). After 1800 it then continued southward as Essex Place and eventually Spann's Buildings. Linking the latter to the main road were diminutive Dorset Place and King's Place. Facing what is now Pancras Road were Church Terrace and, further south, Church Row.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
According to Streets of St Pancras from the Camden History Society

King's Place was lost to the Midland Railway Pancras Road coal drops

The above King’s Place is in Somers Town, as I first suggested in my reply #2.

But if the birth was actually in Camden Town, as stated by the OP, it is more likely to be the Kings Place off King Street, off Camden High Street, as enumerated in the 1851 census (see my second thoughts in reply #3).

We really need to know the subdistrict given on the birth cert, in order to determine which of the two possible Kings Places it is.

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 July 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
bookbox
                  Rootschatters have come up trumps again. Thanks to  all for their help.
 I do have a copy of her birth certificate  and the sub district is  Camden Town.
                                                                                                                   pwh