Author Topic: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline jhan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce's Land, Mill's West Wind, Dundee?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 07 July 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
I live in County Durham now, but go home regularly to visit family. Im home in a few weeks and I think ill be spending some time wandering the streets round Milnes West Wind thanks to everyones help!  ;D

Jenni

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 07 July 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
I don't think those places will exist now but an email may even get you a pic or other interesting info?

I have plenty of Durham connections in my tree too  :D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 07 July 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
I've managed to find Milne's West Wynd (Its just down from the Jute Mill Museum, Verdant Works, which is handy as I was already planning a visit there!). Google maps shows a mixture of new buildings and derelict buildings so I might just have a little explore one day and see what I see. I love being able to visit where my family lived!

Oooh, cool! I am in Consett. Love it down here.

Jenni

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 07 July 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
I've managed to find Milne's West Wynd (Its just down from the Jute Mill Museum, Verdant Works, which is handy as I was already planning a visit there!). Google maps shows a mixture of new buildings and derelict buildings so I might just have a little explore one day and see what I see. I love being able to visit where my family lived!

Oooh, cool! I am in Consett. Love it down here.

Jenni

Hi, I believe this story may be of interest (though it is quite sad). It looks like these buildings are located between East and West Milne's Wynd.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/plans-demolish-historic-dundee-jute-mill-student-flats/

Perhaps there is some info out there on these old 'Queen Victoria Works'? I haven't looked myself yet.

Jill.

Added: Here is the Canmore link; https://canmore.org.uk/site/68113/dundee-203-brook-street-queen-victoria-works

Perhaps it may shed some light somewhere.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 08 July 17 02:23 BST (UK) »
The plan to demolish the Mill is very sad, and what they propse to build there sounds revolting. (I bet that won't be standing in almost 200 years time!)  >:(

Same old story - if developers want planning permission to develop a site, leave it for years to decay and then harp on about how derelict it is. Makes my blood boil!  >:(

Though I prefer buildings to be kept as original as possible, even if they had kept the shell of the buidling with a sympatetic division into flats inside would have been preferable.  :-\

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 08 July 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
The plan to demolish the Mill is very sad, and what they propse to build there sounds revolting. (I bet that won't be standing in almost 200 years time!)  >:(

Same old story - if developers want planning permission to develop a site, leave it for years to decay and then harp on about how derelict it is. Makes my blood boil!  >:(

Though I prefer buildings to be kept as original as possible, even if they had kept the shell of the buidling with a sympatetic division into flats inside would have been preferable.  :-\

Sadly, this is very typical in the area. They managed to restore Morgan Academy after it was gutted by fire around 2001. Don't see why they can't do the same with this place.

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 08 July 17 04:11 BST (UK) »
I think it's a similar story everywhere.  :(

It is probably cheaper to demolish and rebuild, and more profits into the pockets of developers. It always sad to lose your heritage ....

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 08 July 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
Jenni,
There are a multitude of late 19th century newspaper articles which mention Milne's West Wynd most of them involving criminal acts including lots of assaults on women. I was born in Milnbank Road and as a child I would ask my mother to walk up Rosefield Street and down the Blackness Road rather than walk down Larch street or Brooks street into town. I found that whole area totally depressing - it really was grim.
Jen

PS cutting from the Dundee Courier 12 February 1875

Edit:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/juteworks/interesting/
the above link takes you to photos that link with jute...Milne's East Wynd, Polepark, Brooks St, Douglas St, Edwards St, Guthrie St - all are close to where your relatives lived.
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 08 July 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
I was born in Milnbank Road and as a child I would ask my mother to walk up Rosefield Street and down the Blackness Road rather than walk down Larch street or Brooks street into town. I found that whole area totally depressing - it really was grim.
Jen

Hi Jen,

My first flat was actually in Milnbank Road. This was around 2003. I always thought the same about Brook Street even as recently as that. It felt very depressing walking to town up that road. Something about it has never sat right with me.

Jill.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie