Author Topic: Rebecca Berry  (Read 524 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rebecca Berry
« on: Sunday 09 July 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone able to double check a pair of christenings in the parish of Hastingleigh for me.

According to Findmypast Rebecca Berry daughter of Richard Berry was christened there on 27 April 1598.

On the website www.hastingleigh.com though for the same date it has this

"27 Apr 1598 Roberta Berry daughter of Margaret Berry"

It also has the following christenings for other children of Richard:

5 Jun 1603 Susan Berry d of Richard and Elizabeth Berry

30 Jun 1606 Elizabeth Berry d of Richard and Elizabeth Berry

1 Apr 1610 Mary Berrye d of Richard and Elizabeth Berrye

27 Jun 1613 Margaret Berrye d of Richard and Elizabeth Berrye

My first question is are there two Berry children christened on 27 April 1598? One entry for Roberta daughter of Margaret, and another for Rebecca daughter of Richard?

I ask this because I wondered if Rebecca might have been wrongly transcribed as Roberta. Having said that I don't think Richard would get transcribed as Margaret at all. Also I haven't found the christenings of any of those children born to Richard and Elizabeth listed on Familysearch,  only on the above website.

I do have a theory though. I haven't found a marriage for Richard and Elizabeth yet, however there is a marriage for a Richard Berry and Margaret Glover in Willesborough in June 1596. I am wondering if Richard married Margaret first, who was the mother of Rebecca and Roberta (if Roberta is a correct transcription) and then Margaret died and he married Elizabeth who was the mother of Susan, Elizabeth, Mary and Margaret? There does seem to be a gap between the christening of Rebecca in 1598 and that of Susan in 1603 so perhaps Margaret died in that period and Richard remarried.

If anyone can help me out it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt