Author Topic: Aberdeen St Mary's with St Peters - Sepultum est in coemeterio "Innitatis Dielo"  (Read 1666 times)

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi,
Wonder if anyone can assist. i have found a burial record for my Great Grandfather Michael Scully 1923 from Aberdeen St Mary's with St Peters. It says Sepultum est in coemeterio "Innitatis Dielo" which i understand is Buried in the cemetery of Innitatis Dielo. Is "Innitatis Dielo" the Latin name of a cemetery in Aberdeen or does it mean something else. Any help appreciated. Regards Mark
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Innitatis Dielo" is meaningless in Latin. Perhaps it is a misreading for Trinity Cemetery. "Trinitatis" would be Latin for "of the Trinity".

Have you checked for a funeral notice in the newspaper?

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thanks for that is looks like it could be Trinitatis. The T looks very like the I in Isabella further down the document but further down again it is also identical to the T in Thomson. So that would be Trinity Cemetery near Pittodrie then.
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Is the second word 'dicto' rather than 'dielo'? This would make sense because it would then mean 'in the said cemetery of the Trinity'. is this from a page with lots of burials, some of the earlier ones also in Trinity Cemetery?

1923 seems very recent for the burial to be recorded in Latin. Is the rest of the page also in Latin?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dicto makes perfect sense, as Forfarian says, especially as there are inverted commas round "Trinitatis".

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help. Got there in the End. There are several burials all recorded in Latin. However the cemeterys are all different. St Petri I would assume is St Peter's, and what looks like Nellfield. There is another Trinitatis further up but it's in different handwriting and easier to read. Regards Mark.

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
In answer to the other question if haven't checked the Newspapers. I'm not sure of the resources for Aberdeen. I would doubt there would be a death notice as there was no family in that area and family story has it that his wife was so poor she had to basically walk back to Greenock. I will need to follow that up though. Are there any transcriptions of Trinity Cemetery that anyone is aware of. Regards Mark