Author Topic: document viewing  (Read 1778 times)

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stanmapstone, document viewing
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 July 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
It sounds unlike North America where BMD is computerized and available on a screen, England is only computerized from 1984. To see BMD on a computer screen even in Kew is impossible before 1984., Correct? You still have to purchase them. Correct?
What about wills beyond the Index? Is that another expense?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: document viewing
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 July 17 06:28 BST (UK) »
It's only the GRO Indexs that are computerised - not the BMDs themselves.
Legislation in England/Wales still determines that to see any certificate, you must purchase it.

The National Probate Calendar can be viewed online - but you still have to pay for the actual wills.

Were you maybe expecting everything to be free? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 July 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
When I researched my English genealogy during the summers in the 1980s, part of my time was in St. Catherine's House paging thru birth, marriage, death indexes. Life goes on and I have read that records are now housed in a family center. If one wanted to see say a death certificate in the 80s, a person paid a couple of pounds, waited 20 minutes, an was handed an inked copy of the original. Seeing the original was impossible.

The history of viewing original Birth, Marriage and Death registers is interesting (to me) and a history of censorship and exploitation of the public.

It is actually split into two parts the first the transcripts or GRO Birth, Marriage and Death registers I will deal with here the second, original BMD registers I will deal with in a second posting.

Until1898, in recognition of the errors and omissions in the indexes the public were allowed to view and take notes from the registers. The Registrar General disallowed this public use of the registers in the GRO in 1898, without any change in the law.

Master Arthur Francis Ridsdale, who served in the Chancery Division of the High Court from 1912 until his death in 1935 stated in evidence to the Royal Commission in 1914 that prior to the year 1898 or thereabouts, it was usual to permit searchers, who were chiefly solicitors engaged in pedigree cases in Chancery, or professional record agents, to inspect the original registers, then at Somerset House.

He had been told that access to the registers, had been stopped, because the life insurance companies merely checked the cause of death and did not buy the certificates, and also because it was thought that the attendants might be bribed to alter a register.

In 2002 a White Paper ‘Civil Registration : Delivering Vital Change’ was published. This was to include ‘through life records’ which would have made family history research almost as easy as switching on a computer and typing ones name.
This project started with the digitisation of the Birth and Death registers by the awarding of a three year contract in 2005 to Siemens IT Solutions and Services to undertake this project: By 2008 the contract was not complete and both Siemens & the GRO decided not to extend the contract.

In 2010 the project to digitise records was resurrected with more Birth and Death registers digitised with digital records as we stand in 2017 now covering the years births 1836-1934 & deaths 1836-1957.
It should also be mentioned that modern BMDs plus civil partnerships are in digital format so they do not require digitising.

Three phases of trailing partial digital access to the above using human interface and email rather than direct computer access to the relevant scan has been completed but no indication to when or if computer access to the public will start has been given.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 July 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Now the computer probably has all those records on it. If so, can a person go into the family center and use a computer to see a particular document? Or, is it still that one must pay to simply see death information? I really don't care to own a copy. I just want to know who my gr-gr-grand-parents were. And, I can imagine it costs more than a couple of pounds today even with Xerox.

The story of the original BMD registers (Local & Superintendent held registers).
From 1837 until 1974 the public had access to BMD registers held by local and Superintendent registars.
Until 1973 the GRO agreed that there was no reason why local superintendent registrars should not permit access by historians to birth, death and marriage registers held locally in registrar’s offices.
In 1973 the GRO stated such searches could only be allowed when the local Registrar had the time to undertake the necessary supervision and in August 1974 access was stopped altogether.

It should be noted that the main reason for the instigation of civil Birth, Marriage and Death registers was to allow the public to prove their lineage, therefore public access to the records should be the number one priority.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 July 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Kgarrad: If the UK can afford royal high jinx, MP swimming pools, and all the other things my cousin writes to me about, not that the US is a thousand times more wasteful of public tax dollars, UK bureaucrats surely can let the people who pay their salaries see hundred year old BMDs. My ancestors paid for those documents, as did yours and everyone else. The people own them and desire their safe keeping, not an arbitrary decision by a civil servant(s) serving his (their) need..

Guy Etchells: Your explanation was beautifully done. Merci.