Author Topic: Windows updates  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Windows updates
« on: Thursday 13 July 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Like most folk I am aware that periodically updates are down loaded on to my computer and generally don't pay much attention.  Following the latest download, about 1700hrs today, I had a look at 'update history,' and noticed an update on 30th June (as under) failed to download 14 times.

"Microsoft .NET frame work 4.7 for Windows 10 version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (FB 3186568)"

As a total dunce where computers are concerned I'm a bit worried. Should I be? What should I do?
Anybody able to give me advice and guidance please.

Jolyon 
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Windows updates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
No need to worry about not having this update, it is an improvement that doesn't concern Windows security or the like.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3186568/the-microsoft-net-framework-4-7-for-windows-10-version-1607-and-window

M

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 July 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
Matthew,

Thank you for replying.     Trouble is one relies on Microsoft in this regard, and assume updates must be necessary or they wouldn't send them out. 
As usual, when one fails to download, the only thing to do it seems is 'hope for the best'.

Jolyon
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 July 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
This exemplifies why so many computers become infected with viruses (and no I am not having a go at Jolyon).

People today accept the fact that their computers are updated without them having to instigate or accept the update.
This makes it easy for virus and malware compilers to upload rogue programmes to their computers.

One of the most basic computer safety rules is never allow a program to be installed unless one is sure it is safe.
Windows 10 automatic updates is encouraging that most basic of safety rules to be ignored.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 July 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
You can do a manual check for updates, usually unsuccessful updates will come down in the next batch of updates -if any are found.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
dobfarm,

Thank you for the contribution.  As a matter of interest I looked at another failure in April but can't see it successfully downloading since, unless I missed something.

Jolyon
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 July 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Depending on what security system you use, I think maybe they can conflict with Windows updates, I use Norton, once in a while ! I uninstall Norton, then update windows update manually, then reinstall Norton and then run Norton updates followed by a scan. as I find it speeds up my computer. Doesn't do any harm.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 July 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
Dobfarm,

I use AVG Free, and I suppose it could be a problem, as could many other things, but we don't know.  There is no 'history' so far as I'm aware. 

Jolyon
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 July 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
See bottom post in link

Its an ongoing problem, with Windows and different internet security systems like Avast, AVG, McAfee  and Norton with configuration issues with updates from windows and their own  updates

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/error-on-microsoft-net-framework-47-for-windows-10/06573f57-0e3b-4d3c-918a-968b0a83d699

It seems its such a common problem, Norton have now got a special download tool to uninstall/reinstall tool to speed up the task, to save all the usual fath or bother of having to go through the long uninstall & reinstall routes with their system.