Author Topic: Baptism Lookup William Kidd in Stratford Essex please  (Read 770 times)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Baptism Lookup William Kidd in Stratford Essex please
« on: Friday 14 July 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Can someone who has access to these records help with a lookup please. He was born sometime between 1803 and 1806. I have him on the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 census showing born in Stratford Essex. He married Ann Keeler 1827 Norfolk and died in Norfolk in 1878.

I am struggling to find a baptism in this area of Essex. I would like to find his parents and any siblings.

Grateful for any help

regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Lookup William Kidd in Stratford Essex please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
The church records for Stratford do not go back that far, I have looked in the West Ham church for that church period but no luck.

Just a thought have you looked in Norfolk in case his parents went there when he was very young and had him baptised there

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
That could be possible, I will have a look

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 July 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
When I first joined Rootschat (many years ago) I got a lookup for my William Leggett born c 1821 Stratford, Essex.
(Parents on Census John/Honour Leggett)

The Family is in Norfolk in 1841

Copy/paste from what Clincher found me in 2008;

Stratford (in Essex once upon a time but now part of East London) has a number of parishes but the earliest C of E baptisms in that area took place only from 1834 at Stratford, St John.
It occurred to me that the parishes of Stratford were carved out of the mother parish of West Ham, All Saints. So, with the help of an index in the Thames Riverside parish index series Vol 30 All Saints West Ham (Essex RO ref T/Z 542/2)  I looked up the indexes for baptisms, marriages and burials 1813-1835. There were 3 baptism entries for Legget(only one t) and the index led me to the parish register as follows:
Essex RO ref West Ham All Saints D/P 256/1/6 fiche 3 of 7
page 353 consecutive entries 2777-2779 on
1824 Jul 4
Elizabeth d of John and Honor born 12 Dec 1819 (the index referred to above says '1814' but I believe it has been mis-read)
Mary Ann d of John and Honor born 30 Sep 1824
William s of John and Honor born 5 Sep 1821
The abode was given as Stratford and occupation was gardener

So my William was found :)

But obviously 1803-6 may be too early for resource above which is 1813-1835

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)