Author Topic: Warts and all...  (Read 3312 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Warts and all...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
It may surprise some people to learn that some of the 'juiciest' bits in family research have come from 'little old ladies' (and little old men).

A very prim and proper elderly woman told me a fascinating story about her father's bigamous second 'marriage' before speculating that he could easily have other ones in the 20 year gap of what we know about his life. It was actually her mother's family I was tracing and she was able to fill in lots of little details about her grandparents, etc.

My own great aunt wouldn't talk about the 'disgraceful' relative who fought with George Washington during the American Revolution but had no problem with stories about an ancestor who was supposed to be the first prostitute in New Amsterdam!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
Agree Aghadowey!   And let's face it, most of us doing the digging around here fall into the 'older' category . . . . and we are loving the scandelous bits,      ;D

Still you do have to be a little circumspect.   Grandmother can always ask for more info if she is interested in what you have told her thus far.

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
I'd err on the side of caution.  Something once said can't be unsaid.  Some people find digging into family history a bit objectionable.  How does the land lie, as they say? 

Personally, I find great satisfaction in relating my family history but I'd not want my gratification to be the cause distress or unhappiness to my kin.

Alex Edge

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Agree Aghadowey!   And let's face it, most of us doing the digging around here fall into the 'older' category . . . . and we are loving the scandelous bits,      ;D

Wiggy

I agree, my cousins and I are loving the bits we've uncovered, but it didn't go down well with some of the family!! :o ::) ;D

In the end, you'll have to decide, perhaps as suggested feel Grandma out, she may know and just wants to see what you've managed to uncover  ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was charged and sentenced for child molestation. The newspaper reports make interesting reading compared to how a case of this type is tried in today's views and understanding of the victim. He was given a reduced sentence as he was only 18 and didn't know what he was doing ! They didn't want to ruin his future. No mention of the victim and her rights and how it had affected her. I have not shared this with others it is there in the local paper for others to find  but my 4x great grand father had a very interesting start to his life!!
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
And you bring up another thing Panda . . .  how we view things today differs so much from how they were viewed way back.  e.g. someone said about our convict rellies, of whom many are now proud - they survived and made a go of things.

Child molestation has gone the other way in the last few years hasn't it - for many people anyhow - likewise wife beating etc etc.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
I don't think grandmas are surprised by much.  After all, sins, crimes and other forms of poor behavior are nothing new.  It was my grandmother who, in 1944, wrote of the undesirable qualities of her own grandfather and reported what her great uncle had said to her - "Your grandfather was a bad man."  She also noted the thoroughly disreputable lives of some of our earlier ancestors who were repeatedly hauled into court for drunkenness, blasphemy, disorderly conduct, theft and other miscellaneous crimes.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 July 17 01:51 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandmother and her family were very staunch Baptists!  When I told my grandmother I was pregnant with my first child, she said " but you don't look as if you have anything wrong with you". I replied " but there isn't anything wrong with with me, I'm pregnant"! 

"No dear, you are having a baby, only unmarried bad girls get pregnant"  ;D

Last year, while doing some more research on her own parents, I found a record that her parents had a child that I didn't previously know about.  This child, a daughter, was the first of 8, and was born just 2 weeks after they married!  Sadly, the daughter died aged 6 weeks.  I don't suppose my grandmother must even had known about this child, or wouldn't have considered her mother an  "unmarried bad girl"!  From the way she spoke of them, her parents were saints!!  😄

(A 2nd cousin of mine, told me that when he was a young boy, he could remember my great grandfather ( his grandfather - the father mentioned above) often being found in the early morning curled up  asleep in the vegetable garden holding an empty Whisky bottle!)!   Bad boy stuff and obviously no saint!  Why do the women always get the "bad girl" blame! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 July 17 09:54 BST (UK) »

Things certainly have changed in the way we look at things.  Back in the day of our ggrandparents no-one would have considered "living in sin", now no-one bats an eye.!!!!!

I do think that most of our grandmas knew all the family secrets, well mine certainly did!!! She took them to her grave, that is until we started digging into the ancestry!!!! ;D ;D

It's that double standard, boys never get tarred with the same brush as girls even though they may be doing all the same things!!!  Not really fair is it ::) ::)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)