Author Topic: correspondance from 2 ww2 stalag prisons  (Read 466 times)

Offline colinmcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
correspondance from 2 ww2 stalag prisons
« on: Friday 21 July 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could anyone decifer a couple of postcards from stalag xc writen to my late stepfather, please note I have about 10 of these that I would like translating if possible.  I have uploaded the front and back .
Please note that my stepfather passed away over 20 years ago.
Names: Morley, Roberts, Hoff, Hough
Places: WW1 France & Flanders, Rauceby Hospital
Grantham & Ropsley

Offline Malcolm55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: correspondance from 2 ww2 stalag prisons
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
The first is prisoner-of-war post (post free) addressed to Stojadinovic Ljubodrag (?), prisoner number 109375, and has the stamp of the Yugoslavian Governor of Stalag X C.

Stalag X-C was apparently (thank you, Wikipedia!) a prisoner of war camp for NCOs and enlisted men in Nienberg, Lower Saxony, that held about 1,000 men of various nationalities, which also had attached to it numerous POW sub-camps for 45,000 men of lower ranks who worked in industry and on farms.

The second is written in a Slavic language and I'm afraid can't help there other to say that that side was intended for relatives of the prisoner.

P.S. When I say the 'Yugoslavian Governor', I imagine that refers to the chap in charge of the Yugoslavs in the Stalag rather than his nationality.
Seabridge : Staffordshire, Birmingham, Middlesex and elsewhere.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
There are at least three languages on the card.

The printed instructions are German with a Polish translation:

e.g. Kreis:(German) for county
       Powiat: (Polish) for county

The typewritten personal message is possibly Slovenian.
Sorry can't help with translation of this script.

But you could modify the title of your post to attract Slovenian speakers. Think a topic can be modified within 24 hours of first posting.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 July 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Having determined that the famlily was Serbian, I assume the language is Serbian. I typed the text into google translate, which came up with:

Dear Colleague!
I received your ticket with a report from 10 am
On which I warmly thank you. Everything is fine.
Take care that you agree on your own accord and that in these critical moments, there are no breaks in our way. Because we should all live in the spirit of the marriage of love.
You, as well as all the comrades in the command warmly and fraternally salute, for the Commissioner.

The first line should perhaps read 'I received your card with the news at 10 am.'

The card is addressed to Ljubobrag Stojadinovic, not Zdrako. They were, presumably, two different men.

The card was written on what appears to be a pre-prepared bilingual template. It's interesting to note that as tonepad pointed out, the German word 'Kreis' (= district or county) has been accidentally translated into Polish.

Documentation prepared for an exhibition in the museum in Nienburg reports that non-officer POWs were used as labourers in agriculture, handicrafts and road construction. The documentation includes a picture of the prison dogtags of a Serbian soldier. The caption states that 'Serbian prisoners were sent to Stalag X C in Nienburg in August 1941 to work on the land'.

This would explain the restrictions on movements detailed in the POW ID card.

Justin

Offline colinmcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
thamks very much for the translations it great to know what was written all those years ago.
I would like to post some more but only a couple at a time as I realise its not an easy job as I have tried put a couple into google but they often cannot translate and I have some hand written ones which maybe would be impossible to translate.
Regards Colin
Names: Morley, Roberts, Hoff, Hough
Places: WW1 France & Flanders, Rauceby Hospital
Grantham & Ropsley