Author Topic: Name mystery  (Read 521 times)

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name mystery
« on: Friday 21 July 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone hazard a guess as to why my ancestor, Gilbert Innes Scott born 6.11.1777 in Stow, Midlothian to Thomas Scott and Helen Grieve was so named. I was intrigued to discover on the 1801 Census for Stow, that Gilbert Innes owned the land my Scott and Pringle ancestors lived on in Stow.
When I Googled him I was surprised to find that he fathered 67 illegitimate children, and was a very interesting character! I dont imagine Thomas would have named his son so if Helen his wife had had an affair with this Gilbert. But, would they have named a child after their landlord? Their other children are named Margaret, Helen, and Charles . Any ideas?
Thanks,
Lisa
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name mystery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Gilbert Innes was godparent/sponsor to the child, or was otherwise honoured by the family in the choice of the names.  No harm in flattering one's landlord, I imagine :D

In my family there are a few examples of a godparent's name(s) being bestowed on the child - I believe in some places the tradition was that a godparent was actually given the opportunity to choose the name.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Name mystery
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thats true, I have heard that about Godparents. Sounds feasible. Mind you, if they had known what a womaniser he had been, perhaps they would have thought twice! Thanks.
Lisa
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins