Author Topic: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?  (Read 7530 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
From information given on William & Matilda's marriage PR register 1856, and his birth year give on this thread William born 1827 to 1829 his father Henry Thornhill a shoemaker, there is nothing coming up for either of them on UK census 1841c and 1851 c also no baptism/birth 1826 to 1830 so far for William H.

I'm wondering if William had an alias surname and used that alias surname on his emigration or ship records 1857/58. Therefore have a look at all William Henry's on the departure UK/arrival Australia records to find an extreme variant of Thornhill or a William Henry (any)surname (and father Henry ---?---- ) to research on the UK censuses 1841/51 with similar occupations given on the 1856 marriage record Yorkshire UK
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hmm, interesting thoughts and perhaps you're right. I did notice that there was quite an age difference between William and Matilda, and that he was well into adulthood when he married -perhaps he had another life prior!  I have copied the marriage info here from the other thread as it saves me going backward and forward.  Hope that's ok with you.

Marriage 1856 England

31 Dec. 1856 Worsborough Church at Darfield

William Henry Thornill 29, bach. iron moulder of Worsboro' Common. Father: Henry Thornill - shoemaker
Matilda Walker 18 spins. servant of Worsboro' Common. Father: Isaac Walker: Edge tool maker

Both signed
Winesses: John Pashley & Benjamin Walker.

Do you have William's death certificate? As detailed by JM in Reply#7, Australian death certificates, and particularly those from Victoria give a lot of detail (assuming the informant knew the details); much better than UK ones which often give no useful genealogical information.

From the Victorian BMD site you can buy an image of the register page to download immediately.  Cost is about $AU25.  As Matilda went to Beechworth for the funeral and it seems that his daughter Annie JENSEN was living in the Beechworth area it seems likely that one of them may have  been the informant for the certificate.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Will have a bit further hunt later in the day.  :)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 00:57 BST (UK) »
A possibility

THORNHILL William
Born    4 Mar 1827
Father Henry [Labourer]  Mother Elizabeth
Baptism     25 Mar 1827  Wesleyan, King Street Chapel, Derby Derbyshire, England

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 03:59 BST (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197297909
Public Notice.
I HEREBY give notice, that after this date I will not be responsible for any DEBTS that may be contracted in my name by my Wife, MATILDA THORNHILL, as she has left her home without my permission or consent.
W. H. THORNHILL.
Three Mile, Beechworth,
February 23rd, 1875.

Seems it was acceptable for Wm to go to South Africa though ::) :-X

Link to record at PROV - little man - 5' 1" but states born  1829  ::)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kg6/

It would appear that Wm emigrated to mine gold at Beechworth and there were several mines named including One Mile, Two Mile and Three Mile.  My gggrandmother's brother was the mining registrar and surveyor during the gold rush era at Beetchworth.  I'll have a look at some of his papers to see anything specific to Three Mile mine.  Papers often mention individual miners.

There are a few items on my resources but of little consequence to the overall picture of Wm H and his wife Matilda.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 04:20 BST (UK) »
Wm H's digitised probate file on PROV mentions his assets -

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199672845    1913
Sale of Baarmutha Land. — Messrs.Flanagan, Newman and Co., of Wangaratta, yesterday conducted a sale of land at Tanswell's Hotel, Beechworth, in the Thornhill's estate. The land, whichcomprised two blocks,  is situated about three miles from Beechworth, and adjacent to the Baarmutha railway station.
Lot 1, known as the Bush paddock, contains 35 acres 1 rood 34 perches, partlycleared, and lot 2, known as the homestead, contains 33 acres 1 rood, all cleared and cultivated. The land had been in the possession of the late Mr. W. H. Thornhill for upwards of 50 years, and was placed in the market to wind up the estate. The property was put up in one lot, bidding commencing at £7 per acre. At £9 15s. per acre the property wasknocked down to Mr. A. Pyle.

Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 05:16 BST (UK) »
This may be Matilda's family in 1851, given Isaac's occupation and there is a brother Benjamin - a Benjamin WALKER was a witness for the marriage of William and Matilda

1851 at Carson? Row, Granville St, Sheffield
Isaac Walker   39, Edge tool maker, b Kimbersworth Yorks
Maria Walker   36
Charles Walker   16, apprentice edge tool maker, b Sheffield
Benjamin Walker   14, errand boy, b Sheffield
Emma Walker   10, b Sheffield
Minerva Walker   7, b Kimberworth
Henry Walker   5, b illegible to me but not where any of the others were born
William Walker   3, b Sheffield
Maria Walker   1, b Sheffield

If this is the family then it's likely that Matilda would have been born between Benjamin and Emma.

Yes - here they are in 1841 at St John Terrace, Sheffield, all born in Yorkshire
Isaac Walker   30, edge tool maker
Maria Walker   28
Elizabeth Walker   8
Charles Walker   6
Benjamin Walker   4
Matilda Walker   2
Emma Walker   3 Mo

There are some on-line family trees but it seems to me that they have the wrong parents for Matilda who is shown on the trees as still in England in 1861.   ::)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
THORNHILL William.
Gazetted Victoria Government gazette Page#2458
30 Oct 1863
Comment
Gazette item sub title heading - Title Deeds Beechworth

THORNHILL W
Gazetted Victorian Government Gazette  Page#289
5 Feb 1864
Comment
Gazette item sub title heading - Crown Grants Beechworth

Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Cando showed this possible baptism
THORNHILL William
Born    4 Mar 1827
Father Henry [Labourer]  Mother Elizabeth
Baptism     25 Mar 1827  Wesleyan, King Street Chapel, Derby Derbyshire, England

However I see a death for a William THORNHILL aged 0 in St Alkmund parish, Derby in 1828 and another baptism with parents Henry and Elizabeth, at the same Wesleyan chapel in 1830 for another William THORNHILL so, unfortunately, it seems that this isn't the one we're looking for.  :(

Judith

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Yes I noticed that second baptism.

Need to see a child's birth certificate to find his place of birth and hopefully not just born England :).

Cando