Author Topic: Son of Major General Henry Hugh Tudor?  (Read 3387 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Son of Major General Henry Hugh Tudor?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 July 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
It might help your searches if you got the chap's titles correct? ;D ::)

Major General Sir Henry Hugh Tudor.

What information are you looking for?His parents, grandparents, etc?

This is from "The Compass" (a Canadian website & newspaper):
Tudor emigrated to Newfoundland in 1925, and lived here for the rest of his life. He worked with George M. Barr, a well-known St. John's fish exporter. He lived quietly in an apartment in Churchill Square, and was often seen going about errands in the city. His address and phone number were listed in the St. John's telephone directory. He made no effort to hide; to the contrary, he enjoyed an active social life and had many friends in high places.

He met King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the parents of today's Queen Elizabeth II) when they came to St. John's in 1939.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
He married Eva Gertrude Josephine Edwards and from the 1939 it looks as if he left her behind in England!

He made no effort to hide; to the contrary, he enjoyed an active social life and had many friends in high places.

That's a strange thing to say - why would he want to hide?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Sonia Tudor who died in 2015 also left a will

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=Tudor&SurnameGrants=Tudor&YearOfDeath=2015&YearOfDeathGrants=2015&IsGrantSearch=True&IsCalendarSearch=False&page=2#wills
I know quite a lot about General Tudors life in Newfoundland and his life with Monica Mc Carthy. Mike Colman,s aunt who was Monica was the Generals live in nurse and Mike has sent me in the past his detailed knowledge of General Tudor and Mikes cousin handed Tudors pistol to the "Rooms Museum" a few years back which also held his Luger pistol. His Knuckle duster still resides with the Mc Carthy family. The information I am looking is about his his son I have seen a letter written by General Tudor to his Old friend Churchill, thanking him for seeing Tudors son. So my interest is about the son and his career. Mike Boyle in St Johns has been very helpful as well. Cheers Gerry
History. Militaria.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
He married Eva Gertrude Josephine Edwards and from the 1939 it looks as if he left her behind in England!

He made no effort to hide; to the contrary, he enjoyed an active social life and had many friends in high places.

That's a strange thing to say - why would he want to hide?

Because the IRA wanted to assassinate him!
Allegedly, 2 IRA men went to Newfoundland with just that in mind.
They went to confession, and the Father persuaded them not to?

He was the chap who instigated the Black-and-Tans.
Revered in England; reviled in Ireland.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
I would love to see the photo you mention in Ancestry, how do I go about getting right to it.? Cheers Gerry
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
By the way the story of the 2 IRA men and Tudor is what it is "A fairy story" I spent from 2005 researching this and the link with the priest in question mentioned who had already died years earlier so it would have been impossible to have gone to confess what their intentions were. Now about  Tudor been responsible for the formation of the Black and Tans or any other group, this was not Tudors idea but Churchills. Tudor was given the title "Chief of Police Ireland" under his command with that title were Royal Irish Constabulary. Dublin Metropolitan Police ans ADRIC. The Tans were direct replacements to the R.I.C
History. Militaria.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
That's why I said it was "allegedly" ;D ;D

I'll concede the point regarding Churchill and the Black-and-Tans.
My bad choice of words :-[

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:29 BST (UK) »
Interesting man.

What a shame that Henry Lea Tudor's wife only died a couple of years ago - she could probably have told you a lot.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk