Author Topic: tracing place of Marriage of Arthur Thorpe to Lucy Barratt 1908  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tracing place of Marriage of Arthur Thorpe to Lucy Barratt 1908
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Larkspur - Thanks again......I got his birthday wrong, thought it was the 18th, muddled up with his son and the death, I knew was sometime 75/76 as there were quite a few family bereavements in those 2 years, but at least that is sorted..... ....As we are such a large family, so many aunts, uncles, cousins etc. it is difficult to get all the dates accurate.......Libralady (Lynn).....

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Just to add a complication . There were 2 Arthur Thorpe's registered one 1887 in Basford MMS Buck
Marriage Basford Joseph Thorpe and Eliza Buck

Arthur Thorpe 1887 Nottingham MMS Barks
marriage Nottingham William Thorpe and Emma Barks

i would tend to go with Joseph and Eliza as this family were living in Hucknall and you seem fairly sure that is where Arthur was born.

You will either need to get Arthurs marriage certificate to find his fathers name. Or if you know any siblings of Arthur check their mothers maiden surname.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I think it may have been Joseph and Eliza, sounds familiar somehow and I know he was born and lived  on Curtis Street in Hucknall....Libralady...

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
Joseph and Eliza had another son called Arthur b 1883 he died 1885 and was a twin to Clara she died 1884. I think you mentioned twins....
They also had Gershom Mar 1870, William Henry Dec 1873, Ada Jun 1876,twins Elsie and Annie Mar 1879, Edna 1880   twins Arthur and Clara 1883 and Arthur 1887

Baptism Hucknall Torkard
2 March 1846 Joseph son of William & Ann THORP framework knitter

He is with his parents William and Ann in Hucknall on the 1851 census

Marriage Hucknall
11 April 1869 Joseph Thorpe and Eliza Buck
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
larkspur - YES, you have got it.......I do remember now, all come back to me, his family were never discussed that much, was more familiar with Grandmother's siblings, they were always around, but with him being the youngest, most of them would probably have died before I came along - Can remember being told of the 3 sets of twins that my Great Grandmother had.........this is definitely the right family, I also remember the funny names they had especially Gershom, also the twins Annie and Elsie who were spinsters, (school teachers) - Ada who I met once when I was a small child, she was very deaf and married to a Methodist Minister, Rev Towle, they lived at Attenborough, deafness ran in the family.....  I am sure my grandfather Arthur was the youngest....... He was obviously born in 1887 and not 1886 as I thought........ also I think his mother, Eliza's family owned a Factory in Hucknall called Bucks, it was there when I was child growing up in Hucknall in the 1950/60's......My grandfather, Arthur, must have been in service around Worksop when he met my grandmother, that is why he possibly married there and as he was the youngest, maybe his parent's were to old to attend the wedding or deceased......  Many thanks to you - Libralady (Lynn)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
1851 census Hucknall Torkard
Oliver Buck 63 FWK Bulwell
Ann wife 45 Hucknall
John 10
William 8
George 7
Sarah 5
Eliza 3 b Hucknall

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
larkspur - Well he was a bit old to have such young children.........A quick Buck......

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
larkspur - Dirty, luck devil....libralady.