Author Topic: Deaths of great-great-great-grandmother and 3x great-great-great-grandmother  (Read 2162 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have been making a family tree for my grandad. Through personal research, aligned with family documents, I have been able to fill a four-generation tree for him (I can go further back, but the writing has to be smaller).

I have every single marriage and birth date. However, two death dates elude me. His maternal grandmother, Florence Pepper (Harding), born 1873, London, and his paternal great-grandmother, Mary Sands (Thompson), born 1817, St. Luke's.

Florence lived in Newington, Lambeth and Eltham, prior to the Peppers' relocation to Ireland, before, during and after the war of independence there. Her husband died in County Cork in 1922. My grandad believes that she died before his birth in 1939. His parents married in 1935, in Finsbury. If this is true, Florence died between 1922 and 1939, probably in England, in London.

Mary lived in St. Luke's, north London. She was born in St. Luke's in 1817. She disappears after 1863, with the death of her husband, William. She was only 46, so I would like to believe that she remarried and lived many more years. Her daughter lived to the age of 87, as did her son.

I would appreciate any information,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths of great-great-great-grandmother and 3x great-great-great-grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just posting from 1861 for Mary - Mary & children all born St Lukes.
William Sands   45
Mary Sands   44
Maria Sands   14
Mary Ann Sands   12
Henry Sands   8

Did Mary Ann marry as Maria to George Cosburn in 1869  :-\  Can be found in East Ham 1871 with brother Boarder Henry  ???
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths of great-great-great-grandmother and 3x great-great-great-grandmother
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Sands married Benjamin Lipman in 1873, in Mile End. I don't know what became of the other siblings.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann is already pretending to be married to Benjamin in 1871  ::)    Who were the marriage witnesses

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is Mary's death
Deaths Mar 1869 
Sands    Mary   age 52   
W. Ham    4a   25

Henry the 'Boarder' born St Lukes is in East Ham in 1871 as already mentioned living with big sister Maria - I had not noticed he had sister Maria as well as Mary Ann  ::)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Does Florence Peppers husbands death certificate confirm that Florence is still alive when he died :-\

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
1) Yes, Frank was listed as married. We have one photo of her, wheelchair-bound in the 1930s.
2) Benjamin and Mary had a daughter before 1873 - this is why I think the marriage may have been a result of societal expectations. My great-grandfather was born in 1878, also in Mile End.
3) I think you've found Mary Sands!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
I'll try and find the marriage witnesses.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
The witnesses were Ellen Elizabeth Kennedy and James Wilson.