Author Topic: Douglas Robson born 1835  (Read 3049 times)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Robson born 1835
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 July 17 04:43 BST (UK) »
An interesting point about this most recent conversation.

If the man had "jumped ship" as has been speculated, he would hardly be likely to join the ship under his own name, where he would be no doubt recognised by his former fellows etc. 
So, as a passenger in steerage, I would say he was in fact, a bone fide steerage passenger who had taken his leave legitimately from the service.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 30 July 17 05:22 BST (UK) »
I agree Sue  :)

I have searched through my NSW offline resources until end 1863 for Douglas and as mentioned earlier I have not met with success.

If he settled in NSW and was still living in NSW in the 1870s then I would expect to find some mention of him in Greville's 1872 PO directory.   Here's a good link to that directory (and more) with a reliable search engine.  I have had a quick search there for Douglas ROBSON and for ROBSON Douglas, without success.   If I had found him there I would then go to my offline resources and search the relevant 1870 and 1878 electoral rolls.  But without a sighting at Grevilles, I am hesitant to undertake that type of search through many electoral rolls, which are of course in the 1870s divided into electorates, then police districts, and then within each Police district the electors are listed by surname.  These rolls were prepared from verbal information gathered by NSW police, answerable to their district's Police Magistrates.  It was not compulsory to enrol... 

http://www.family.joint.net.au/index.php?mid=1&cid=11

Here's live links to City of Sydney's Assessment books (includes tenants and landlords and owners)
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books

ADD
One of my 'ancient' rellies is following this thread, and has phoned me to remind me that I forgot to mention that not all policemen could actually spell, and so some of the Electoral Roll spelling is 'way off the mark' anyway.    So now I should also mention there could be concerns if there's any D ROBSON on the mariners website that has been mis-read or mis-recorded on the original manifests...  (I am avoiding noting that I may have transcribed many a list on that project  ::) )

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 30 July 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
Just a thought....

Has anyone looked for 'Robinson/Robison'?

I have Robson/Robinson in my tree (same families).....not the families of OP  :D

Edit Well one never knows, same area, Newcastle-upon-Tyne/Durham, England  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 July 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
Actually, Annie ...
now you mention it, the good ship ADMELLA was in the port of NEWCASTLE in October 1858 .... but that is Newcastle New South Wales,  ;D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13019164 SMH 7 Oct 1858

ADD
with quite a number of stowaways suffering seasickness as well as gold fever http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/128755048 Northern Times 9 Oct 1858
I think that would be the voyage up to Rockhampton that compliments the voyage back from Rockhampton that Sue located.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 July 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the posts and help, the bottom line he seems to have disappeared,  it's possible he could have sailed to a different country all together and settled, the family have trying to solve this for a long time.