Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 14 #4 Adil Ray  (Read 3412 times)

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 14 #4 Adil Ray
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 July 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
I expected to enjoy this from the Radio Times write up, and eventually I did, but found it slow to get going.  Once he arrived in Africa it became much more enjoyable and interesting.  I would have liked another minute or two looking at the reasons for the movement of the Kenyan Asians to Britain.  It was a different approach looking at it from the point of view of someone who had a fairly solid knowledge of the family history, and was confirming and expanding that knowledge rather than just having 'a story' which has often been the case.  And even getting the 'story' (about royal connections) confirmed!

As others have said, it proves the importance of talking to older relatives, and I thought it also showed how cultures with a tradition of oral history can be very valuable to social historians. I just wonder how much that tradition is still surviving into younger generations in Africa. Growing up I had little knowledge about either side of my family, and I query how much my cousins, nephews and nieces would know even about my grandparents' generation without the bits I keep passing on ... no real tradition of oral history!
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Offline Susie Volante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 July 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
I have no connections, apart from being born in Birmingham. Watched this programme last night, and found it very interesting.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 July 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
I found it fascinating. I have many links to Kenya and recognised plenty of the scenes from Kisumu. While there were family photos and stories to work on perhaps what wasn't explained was how thin the documentation is for events even in the early 20th century. In Britain we have the luxury of census and BMD records stretching back well into the 19th century and church records stretching much further back; there may be gaps, but there is masses of material. Elsewhere there is nothing at all; without the royal family link the story would have come to a halt in more recent generations and wouldn't have got that far back.
With Kisumu so close to Uganda and all that happened to Asians there, you can readily imagine some of the motivation to leave Kenya.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 July 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
I found it a bit boring. There were interesting bits but I was wanting it to move on and tell us about other ancestors and their stories and not keeping focusing on his ancestors in East Africa.

Blue

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 July 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
still not watched it all ....

xin

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:05 BST (UK) »

I enjoyed this one.  A lovely gentle feeling to the programme, no rushing from one country to another.  No histrionics, no over-the-top exclamations. Forty five minutes in before the lap top came out  :D  I liked the way he honoured his ancestor with the bark cloth, I found that quite moving.

And, yes the importance of oral history. It's such a shame that by the time we become interested in our own history it can be too late to speak to those who came before us  :(

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 July 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
I just found this .... its several pages, so probably won't appeal to most RC-ers, but only to those old Africa hands/old ex-pats of which there are several on RootsChat !

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00080855/00069/119   and the next several pages ....

Its the info Adil Ray found in the Uganda Journal from 1960. 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnes612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
I found this to be by far the most turgid episode of the series.

I spent almost the entire programme trying to remember the person they have already done who had African/Indian heritage with their Indian family moving to somewhere in Africa.

Can anyone remember who that was?
WARBURTON, WOODS, BARNES, HAWORTH: Haslingden, Lancashire
GIBBONS: Oving, Sussex
OAKLEY: Bunbury, Cheshire
LANKENAU: Vegesack, Bremen

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
I found this to be by far the most turgid episode of the series.

I spent almost the entire programme trying to remember the person they have already done who had African/Indian heritage with their Indian family moving to somewhere in Africa.

Can anyone remember who that was?

I think you're thinking of WDYTYA? S02 E06 - Gurinder Chadha, originally broadcast on 15 Feb 2006, see the link below for more where it says, "According to a family rumour, Lakha had at one stage lived with an African woman, and had fathered two children with her...":-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whodoyouthinkyouare/past-stories/gurinder-chadha.shtml

Blue