Author Topic: Barbados and Jamaica - George James Landells of Burke & Wills infamy  (Read 4590 times)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbados and Jamaica - George James Landells of Burke & Wills infamy
« on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
The Burke and Wills Exploring Expedition from Melbourne to the northern coastline of Australia in 1860/61 is generally known to Australians, and has a website dedicated to that saga at the State Library of Victoria (SLV).

DIG - The Burke and Wills Research Gateway
http://burkeandwills.slv.vic.gov.au/

I am interested in knowing for sure some accurate information about a some-time member of the expedition who may or may not be related to my Landells lineage - George James LANDELLS.

Specifically: the family particulars (names and details of relatives, his and his father's, uncle's, grandfather's British Army service in the Caribbean and India, and where GJ Landells was born, lived, and also details about his wife Elizabeth Rosa).

George James LANDELLS / LANDELS, who was commissioned to supply camels for the Burke and Wills  Exploring Expedition, was at first second-in-command of the expedition until an argument with Burke after a short time. Landells resigned or was sacked by Burke, and did not proceed beyond the colony of Victoria.

After the disastrous end to that venture, Landells' reputation was (in my opinion) besmirched by certain agencies, but vigorously defended by one of his sisters living in Bendigo. It makes interesting reading.
In contrast, Burke's inept leadership and skills have been glossed over and he is some sort of latter-day "celebrity" for whom a prominent commemorative statue exists in Melbourne CBD (recently moved while new underground rail works are constructed).

The vital information that I have for LANDELLS comes from the SLV and from some newspaper articles from the time (NLA scans, at "Trove").

About GJ Landells, the bare information that I have collected - not well verified -

George James Landells, b. 5 Feb 1825, Barbados, West Indies; d. 4 Dec 1871, Rawal Pindi, Bengal, India

His wife was Elizabeth Rosa (no surname, dates or place of birth or death, and no marriage date for them).

I have searched the usual places, and I cannot verify any of that information. I am entirely reliant on the information at the SLV - but hope that some experienced researcher at RootsChat can unearth corroborative data and new clues.

Under a similar Topic, I have gained valuable insights about some of GJ LANDELLS' siblings and their families - but so far, none about the (controversial) man himself.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados and Jamaica - George James Landells of Burke & Wills infamy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, as in my initial post - that is where all my information for George James Landells came from.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi westernwombat,
Did you contact the person supplying LANDELL's details - email address given on the link Jamjar supplied?

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, as in my initial post - that is where all my information for George James Landells came from.

As per your 'initial post' I can't see where you have mentioned the website I have provided. In fact you have said that "I am entirely reliant on the information at the SLV". The site I provided is not related to the SLV.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 17 01:22 BST (UK) »
At Project Gutenberg Australia you can freely read the book edited by William WILLS,  father of William John WILLS, titled Successful Exploration through the Interior of Australia from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpentaria.. 

Your chap, G J LANDELLS is mentioned there, many many times.    WJWills sent letters back to his father at the time of G J LANDELLS quarrels with various members of the team in the early days as they set out from Melbourne.  The details of those letters are included in the book that was first published in 1863.

You write that Landells resigned or was sacked by Burke, and did not proceed beyond the colony of Victoria.  I am quite sure that LANDELLS and BECKLER were still with the expedition at Balranald, and Beckler did not leave the expedition until they were at Menindie. 

It seemed to me that Landells had been quarrelling with various team members, Landells wanting the camels to cross the Darling River on the punt rather than like the horses who were led through the water. 

I think you will find that the 'straw that broke the camel's back' from Landells perspective was Burke's words re that incident, however, the book shows Landells was speaking out of turn to individual team members about other team members for much of the early part of the journey through Victoria and into NSW.  (So, as second in command he was considered to be undermining the roles of various team members, not just Burke.)

May I please mention that  Balranald and Menindie were, and are, both in NSW.    I do not recall reading much about GJ LANDELLS family history in that book.

http://gutenberg.net.au/index.html

ADD
The book I mention is also available via the link Jamjar provided.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 17 01:54 BST (UK) »
Did Elizabeth remarry? If so her birth name appears to be BIGGAM
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGN8-8XJ
Elizabeth Rose Landells (Father's Name: Holmes Biggam) married Edward Emerson ( Father: Edward Emerson)
Event Date: 08 Apr 1874
Event Place: Murree, Bengal, India

In this she is shown as Elizabeth Rosa (image available but I don't have access to the image)
Adding: http://search.findmypast.com.au/results/world-records/british-india-office-marriages?firstname=elizabeth%20rosa&firstname_variants=true&lastname=landells

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 17 02:06 BST (UK) »
Death: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kgz/ (image available if you have access)
Emerson, Elizabeth Rose; born: 1824; died1901; Rawal Pindi, Bengal; British India Office Deaths & Burials   

Adding: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGVM-XWL
Name: Elizabeth Rose Emerson
Death Date: 09 Nov 1901 Age: 77
Burial Date: 09 Nov 1901
Burial Place: Rawal Pindi, Bengal, India
Birth Date: 1824
Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse's Name: E. Emerson

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 17 02:11 BST (UK) »
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of London, Vol 5, No. 1 (1860-1861) pages 8, 9, 10. mention G J LANDELLS in the notes of the first fourteen days' march that had been received at that time (Nov 12, 1860, publication in London).

The exploratory caravan consists of 26 camels .... horses and wagons to convey twelve month's stores to Cooper Creek ..... camels supplied with leather shoes shod with iron, carry waterproof coverings lined with flannel to protect them in adverse weather ..... camels under the charge of Mr G.J. LANDELLS .... ten men, not including three Indian Mohammedans, who have the immediate charge of the camels... There was difficulty in persuading the camels across the only creek that interrupted their progess.  Some natives who visited one of the camps, showed terror at the sight of the camels .... Indian attendants work well ... use of the camel was a new feature in the exploration of this country  ....
There is the then Editor's note : Although the Members of the Expedition have quarrelled among themselves, the leader left for Cooper Creek on the 19th of October, with 7 whites, 3 coloured men, 16 camels, and 19 horses.

No mention of any family history for G J LANDELLS in that report. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.