Author Topic: Tracing relatives from Roscommon -HELP :-)  (Read 572 times)

Offline lmyatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing relatives from Roscommon -HELP :-)
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for some help. (Arn't we all!)

I have managed to trace my family tree in Staffordshire and have discovered that my 3rd great grandad (Patrick Dowd and his wife Mary Tighe) came from Ireland. On one census return Patrick lists he was from Roscommon, and Mary states she is from Mount Pleasant (There is one in dublin and in Co. Waterford).

in the 1871 census he states that he is 39 years old and in the 1891 census he states that he is 57 years old. So I have a few years to play with.

To date i have not been able to find marriage records for them. Their eldest daughter who came over from Ireland with them was born around 1853 but no idea where in Ireland. but at some point between 1861 and 1863 they moved from Ireland to the UK. My grandad believes they may have spent some time in liverpool before they have their next child in 1863 who is recorded as being born in tunstall in staffordshire.

any help or guidance as to where I can turn with this as I have searched roots ireland which I have paid for and read a few guides and tried a few different roots and I have hit a blank. My dad is taking my grandad to ireland (to roscommon) and it would be amazing if I can give them at least a town to visit. Any help would be very appreciated.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing relatives from Roscommon -HELP :-)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome to Rootschat.   Have a look at www.nationalarchives.ie for Griffiths Valuation records where it shows 20 entries for name Patrick Dowd in different parishes in Roscommon.
Tithe Applotment records also on above site.
The Roman Catholic Church records i.e Baptisms & Marriages are free to view on www.registers.nli.ie  :) What was their eldest daughters name born in Ireland?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Firstly, there is a Mount Pleasant, Roscommon.

I see that Mary and son Frank give M P as birthplace in 1891 and Fanny/Frances shows Roscommon in 1911 indexes so it would seem that Roscommon is the place to look.

There is also a nephew Francis with the family in 1881, I think, so it might help if you could find a marriage record for him. Presumably, his father would be your Patrick's brother.

I have to say that I am not finding anything but hopefully these are hints for you.
I can't see any records for your names in Strokestown parish which is frustrating.

Here is Griffiths Valuation for Kilbride civil parish which includes Mount Pleasant.
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/roscommon/kilbride.htm

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lmyatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!

I could not fund a mount pleasant in roscommon although I had been searching for mount pleasant in Ireland!

Eldest daughter was called Fanny, then Ann and their Son francis  were also born in ireland.

At least if nothing else my dad can take grandad to strokestown. :-)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
The link above to the parish registers doesn't appear to be working.
http://registers.nli.ie/
Church records for Kilbride Civil Parish
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/church.php?civilparishid=2047&civilparish=Kilbride&search_type=full

although looking at the map the nearest church seems to be in Coonfinlough which is in Strokestown parish.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,590530,777068,10,9

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
I looked through transcribed indexes for the parish but could not find the names. The originals are hard to decipher if you look on the nli site so perhaps they have been mistranscribed or not at all.

I wouldn't want you to go to the wrong area - although I am sure it would be a lovely visit anyway  :)

Fanny calls herself Frances in 1911 where she has Roscommon as birthplace and as I said Frank refers to Mount Pleasant so it does seem very possible.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Are you familiar with the website Ireland Reaching Out? It's based on parishes but you can post an enquiry on the Roscommon or general board. It's free.
Cowban