Author Topic: Samuel Eaton  (Read 2534 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Eaton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Oh my - that Cando is one smart lady.  I'd had a little hunt but didn't think to look for a different spelling.  Abraham Shearing is mentioned on an on-line tree; his father's name was apparently Abraham as well. On the marriage image Elizabeth's bridegroom's occupation is mariner (I think) and his father's occupation is "gentleman".

Off to bed on this side of the world now!

I think you can include the death certificate as an attachment without breaking copyright.

Great outcome!  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
I'm off too bed too but I have a few more snippets about Samuel in Victoria from my resources.  Will type them up tomorrow.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marypeaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
 Thank you, all this is soo exciting!!! I have found  Abraham Shearing in 1849 a Pr+Pr steward British Royal Navy on vessel Castor, wife Elizabeth. Cannot find Abraham's death in either England or Australia.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 August 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
EATON Samuel.
'Exile' arrival  Sep 1847 Port Phillip/Victoria on the JOSEPH SOMES
Source  The Pentonvillains.  Ian Wynd.

EATON Samuel
Marriage  1861  St James, Melbourne
Index and partial transcript of manuscript held at the State Library of Victoria.
Author/compiler  William Alfred HALL.   Page#31/1460

EATON Samuel
Gazetted  19 Apr 1864  Victorian Government Gazette Pge#907
Gazette item sub title heading: Shareholders Australasia Gold Mining Co

EATON Samuel.
Gazetted 5 Nov 1869  Geelong. Vic
Victoria Government Gazette  Page#1774
Comment - Licence forfeited

EATON Samuel
Gazetted  8 Apr 1870  Geelong
Victoria Government Gazette Page#576
Comment - Cancellation of Licenses Under the 42nd Section

EATON Samuel.
Gazetted 26 Jan 1872  Ballarat Vic
Victoria Government Gazette  Pge#172
Comment - Gazette item sub title heading: Crown Grants and Leases Pay Office Ballarat

EATON Samuel.
Gazetted 28 Mar 1873  Elaine, Vic
Victoria Government Gazette  Pge#552
Comment - Gazette item sub title heading: Shareholders Perseverance Quartz Mining Co

EATON Samuel 49 years  Married  Born Dorsetshire
Hospital record  Date 29 Oct 1874
Place Elaine [residence]
Occupation Miner.
How long in colony - 26 years
Religion Church of England
Source - Ballarat Base Hospital, Victoria: Admissions Register 1856-1913 index.
Comment Name of Recommender or remarks G Smith

Cando

Offline marypeaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,
  Thank you very much. How wonderful that you have found all this information!! Is there a way that I can access the details on line?
Mary

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 August 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
I have taken this information from my own resources however the Victorian Government Gazette is online but you will find no further information other than I have posted.  Don't be too excited by the shareholdings in gold mining companies.  There were thousands of companies registered. 
http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/

Cando

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 August 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
There are a number of entries for Samuel EATON on Trove in Victoria, some related to gold mining, and a couple where he is in trouble with the law, though it would appear the prosecution did not proceed -
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87997163

Probably easiest to put his name "Samuel Eaton" in the search box and limit to Victoria.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=%22samuel+eaton%22&sortby=dateAsc&l-state=Victoria

I've been interested in this thread and wasn't entirely convinced the Samuel EATON death record in Vic was your Samuel (as the ages are a bit out, I think the record of his trial or transportation - not sure which - says age 20 in either 1845 or 1847, so born c1825-7). There are others of the same name in Australia at the same time period, but Cando's record of hospitalisation in 1874, occ miner, in colony 26 years certainly looks right!  :D

sorry - modified to add - should have read closer, Ros already gave you the link to his aborted prosecution in reply #5

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 August 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
I do find it frustrating when people don't read all the information on the thread, don't contribute any information and just offer opinions.

I've spent hours searching through my resources. 

Maddy don't you think that others haven't searched TROVE?

What it is about the following death that you doubt....taken from Vic bdm website but the site is down at the moment for maintenance.

From Victorian BDM https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Death 1887 Samuel EATON, parents names not listed, age 66, place of death Narracan, spouse Elizabeth SHEARING reg 14886
Ros

I have my own resources and don't use subscription only websites whose indexes are full or errors and omission.

Off to bed and hopefully in a better frame of mind tomorrow.

Cando

Offline marypeaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 August 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful to Cando for the information. The marriage and death certificates verify that it is our Samuel. As to the discrepancy in the ages, that stems from England. In the 1841 census he is 15, but ages were rounded up or down. I have the baptismal record at Canford Magna as 2nd November 1823. His arrest record puts him as 18 in 1845. He must have been 21 or 22, perhaps he gave a younger age to hope for leniency.  The Pentonville Prison record lists his father as Geo. Eaton, shoe maker of Wimbourne as does the wedding certificate in 1861. This concurs with our family history, so we are certain that it is the same person.

Mary