Author Topic: Questions to ask Grandparents and Great-Grandparents  (Read 926 times)

Offline JSGenealogy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Questions to ask Grandparents and Great-Grandparents
« on: Monday 07 August 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
What are some Great or Important Questions to ask grandparents and great-grandparents about their Childhood and Parents? 

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Questions to ask Grandparents and Great-Grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
I think the most insight I gained from asking my grandparents and great aunts/uncles anything was when they were telling stories about events in their childhood, very normal everyday things that are not in record form and also when looking through old photo albums with them as that is when the 'gems' surfaced.

I always found asking specific questions I received guarded answers.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
From my experience, it is not a good idea to ask direct questions like "where did you go to school?". (Some older people are a bit shy about admitting they only went to a bush school till they were 13  or they were very unhappy at school) 

Instead it may be useful to discuss in general about schools eg present day with computers.  Then ask leading but very open questions about schools in the past.  Some older people are more chatty than others.

I see myself as a chatty Grandma and I have to be careful I don't bore my grand children with tales of the past.  My father was a chatter box but my Mum was more reticent hence we know more about my father's side of the family than my mother's although her side had interesting stories.

Best wishes, Gazania

ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
I've found that the best stuff appears when they are talking with someone from their childhood. My mum's sister has been good for prompting stories - and they remembered different details, so the end result was richer.
When I got my dad talking with a chap who was in the same childhood "gang", I found out that they had been proper tearaways in the 1930s, rather than the staid characters they had become!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 18:41 BST (UK) »
A pub near me has recently launched a 2-hour daytime session each week where older members of the community can get together to share their stories & reminisce about the town in days gone by.  I've not been, but from what I've heard the group is getting bigger by the week and a great time is had by all.  The 'host' is a younger chap - very active in the community and also a local musician - and each week he turns one of the stories into a song.  How great is that?  The pub is very well named - it's The Storytellers.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.