Author Topic: Need New Eyes on 1920/1930 TX census  (Read 989 times)

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need New Eyes on 1920/1930 TX census
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Here is my father's family in 1910:

1910 Ethel, Grayson Co. TX census:
McWilliams, John P., age 41, married 18 years, farmer, b. LA, father MS(AL), mother MS
McWilliams, Tellie, age 40, mother of 9 children, 8 living, b. TN, father TN (VA), mother TN
McWilliams, J. Verner, age 17, b. TX
McWilliams, Florine, age 15, b. TX
McWilliams, Onie, age 13, b. TX (Ona)
McWilliams, Winnie, age 11, b. TX
McWilliams, Frank, age 6, b. TX
McWilliams, Archie, age 4, b. TX
McWilliams, J.P., age 2, b. TX - MY FATHER
McWilliams, Baby (son), age 1/12, b. TX  (this is Luther)

Unable to find in 1920 census.  Son Luther stated the family lived in Jacksboro, TX for a time after leaving Grayson Co., but I am not sure this is correct.

1929 Coleman City Directory (Hudspeth):
In 1929 J. Prior McWilliams, and his wife Tellie, were residing at 514 W. 3rd St.  He was a laborer.  Also living at this address was son Luther McWilliams, a meter reader.

1930 Coleman, Coleman Co., TX census, 111 Brush St.:
McWilliams, John P., age 62, b. LA, father and mother LA (incorrect), Carpenter
Telmera, wife, age 60, b. TN, father VA, mother TN
Luther, son, age 26 (20), Laborer-City
Ballard, Florine, daughter, age 33
Ballard, Mary Helen, granddaughter, age 10

John Prior (many called him just Prior), at the time of his death in Jan., 1934, was an employee of the City of Coleman.  Residence at the time of death was 713 W. 13 th St.  His obituary states that he had been a resident of Coleman for 15 years, moving from Grayson Co., but as stated above, I am unable to find the family in 1920. 

If anyone can find this family in 1920, I'd be obliged!

Also, I cannot find my father J.P. (INITIALS ONLY) in any TX 1930 census.  He would have been 22 at the time.  I know he was employed by the TX Highway Dept. in the early 1930's, but do not know his occupation in 1930.  I have tried looking for J.P., also "Mac" which was his nickname, as well as John since some people were determined he was named after his father John Prior.

Any help on the census records is appreciated.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Need New Eyes on 1920/1930 TX census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
I've not yet found them in 1920 nor J P in 1930, but I wanted to let you know I've been trying.  They are proving to be very difficult to find.  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
...Also, I cannot find my father J.P. (INITIALS ONLY) in any TX 1930 census...I know he was employed by the TX Highway Dept. in the early 1930's, but do not know his occupation in 1930...

If he was working for the highway department, perhaps he was "on the road" and he missed being recorded in 1930?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
I too have been searching for the 1920 census entries.  No luck, however, I did run across an obituary for Mrs. Harry (Winnie) Dibrell, b. 26 Aug 1899 in Whitesboro to Mr. and Mrs. J.P. McWilliams.  States she had lived in Coleman County since 1910 and mentions brothers, Frank and Luther, and sisters, Ona and Florence.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you for searching.  I, too, had thought if my father was working for the highway department or in construction in 1930, he may have been missed in the census.  And if his family was moving from Grayson Co. to Coleman Co. in 1920, that may be the reason I can't find them.

And yes, Winnie McWilliam Dibrell was my father's sister.

Thanks again,
Sandra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra:

Did any of the older children marry prior to 1920?  If so, perhaps we can try to locate their spouses, hoping that they may live near the McWilliams?  :-\  (I actually have not yet tried to find the oldest children, thinking that they may be on their own by 1920.)

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, the two eldest daughters did marry before 1920, but I have sketchy info on their marriages - seems they were very volatile and both divorced before 1930.  Anyway, Florine married Edgar B. Ballard about 1915 (location not known), and Ona married William M. Dale before 1917 (location not known).  I had not thought about looking for these guys in 1920!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 August 17 01:46 BST (UK) »
This appears to be Florine:
1920 Justice Precinct 1, Jones Co, TX
Florine Ballard, wife, age 24, born Texas, father born Tennessee, mother born Arkansas
She is shown with her husband, Edgar B Ballard and their two children.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kiw/

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 August 17 02:33 BST (UK) »
This is interesting - Jones Co. is 2 or 3 counties away from Coleman Co.  Whoever gave the census info sure didn't know where Florine's parents were born!  Thanks for finding this.