Author Topic: Henry Bell  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Bell
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 August 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
That was my theory, Geoff. On balance of evidence it seems more likely that the name was incorrect for whatever reason than that it was correct and everything else is missing. It's not impossible of course, something else complicated could have happened such as being registered illegitimate under mother's name and coming up with Henry later, but everything else seems to match pretty well. I did briefly look sideways, such as wondering if a witness might have been one of her family members, but didn't get far with it. The only real evidence I could think of might be a will for Andrew, or a witness to a sibling's marriage or informant on a death cert (such as Andrew or Margaret's) naming Esther SHORTRIDGE or Robert SHORTRIDGE. Unfortunately independently one would have to spend money to find out, but I did advise checking out any trees that belonged to descendants of Andrew and Margaret to see if any of them have marriage/death certs/more info.

Trish- that's the only one I could find too. The marriage of Andrew BELL to Margaret CARTY was 25 Oct 1830, Torpenhow (where the first two census children of the family were born).

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Bell
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 August 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
There is a death notice in the Carlisle Patriot on 4th February 1860, which reads:
"At Parsonby, on 27th ult., Mr. Andrew Bell, labourer, age 59."

He and Margaret are in Parsonby in 1851 and Margaret a widow there in 1861.

David