Author Topic: Mary Browne  (Read 566 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Browne
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can double check the parish registers of Charing for the christening of Mary Browne c1654.

Mary married Robert Rayner, by licence, in 1672, and both were described as being 'of Charing'. At the time Mary's father was dead and her mother Margaret Chapman consented to the marriage. As the bondsman was named as "Thomas Chapman, of Charing, innholder" I suspect that Mary's mother probably remarried and that Thomas was Mary's stepfather. However he could have been a half-brother.

There is a Thomas Chapman of Charing who left a will in 1683 would could be the same Thomas mentioned above and this will might also hold more clues.

I have found a Mary Brown christened 1655 in Faversham and another two in Greenwich in 1655 and a third in Greenwich in 1656. Greenwich (St Alphege) is 38 miles from Charing so I don't think this is my Mary, whereas Faversham is only 8 miles from Charing.

However I would like to double check there is definitely no Mary Browne in Charing who could be mine. If anyone is able to double check to see if there is a Mary Browne christened in Charing (or in any other nearby parish) c1654 which would be the Mary who married Robert it would be a great help.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Matt