Author Topic: Elizabeth Ann BARLOW or DIBBS - married Adam LANDELLS  (Read 2368 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Ann BARLOW or DIBBS - married Adam LANDELLS
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
Many SA passenger lists do not survive and many have been compiled from reports of ships' arrivals and passengers in The Register and other newspapers.  It is noted on the link that there were a number of people who died who were not on the passenger list.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 07:22 BST (UK) »
The Maguire vs Maguire case was heard in January 1851 regarding an assault in the same month.  The evidence names a servant woman, Eliza DIBBS, who had lived with the Maguires for eleven months.

Elizabeth and Adam's marriage was in August 1850, so Eliza DIBBS is not Elizabeth DIBBS who married Adam.

I found the account of the court case amusing!
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/207066284

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 07:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, it was after the time of the marriage that I am interested in - I read several accounts, amusing certainly. Several of the court cases seem to have a similar "tone".