Author Topic: McManus of Rosscommon or WestMeath  (Read 1160 times)

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McManus of Rosscommon or WestMeath
« on: Wednesday 16 August 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been tracing my great grandmother Anna McManus who is either from Roscommon (thinking the Parish of St. Peter's, Athlone, Drum...) or WestMeath (Athlone).  I'm leaning toward Roscommon.  She was born about 1872 based on census in the US, and her death certificate (which said "about 1872).  However, her marriage license would put her about 1868 and her first son's birth cert would put her about 1877...so really varies but I'm leaning toward 1872.  Her death certificate states her father's name was Thomas. 

She emigrated to the U.S. (Hartford, CT) around 1883-84.  I cannot located her in any immigration material.  These dates are based on census.  I cannot locate her in the 1900 US census where I could at least find a birth month.  She died in Hartford in 1950.  While in the US she married Michael Daly.  In 1920, the U.S. census lists a Mary McManus (as aunt - single, 80 in 1920 putting DOB around 1840 ish).  Anne's husband's obituary in 1926 lists a Harry J. McManus as a pallbearer.

I started down a path where I thought her parents were Thomas Mcmanus and Catherine Shine.  From Drum, Roscommon.  This Thomas being born around 1840.  His parents would then be Mathias/Matthew McManus and Anne Harney.  This Mathias being born around 1808, St. Peter's, Athlone, Roscommon. 

But I cannot connect the dots.  Mathias and Anne do not appear to have had a child named Mary (who I thought would be the aunt from 1920 who I' assumed was Thomas' never married sister), so now I think that I'm tracing the wrong connection.  I also cannot connect Harry J. McManus (living in Hartford in the 1920s) to Anne.

If anyone has any thoughts you could share about next steps, i'd appreciate it. 

Thanks
Laura

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McManus of Rosscommon or WestMeath
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Why not look at birth certs
There is at least one to a Thomas MacManus in 1869 registered in Athlone
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Than look for marriages for any you find and try to eliminate them.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 17 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you... unfortunately the Thomas I need would have to be born earlier as his daughter, Anne, my g-grandmother was born around 1872 so the civil record look up isn't likely to work. L

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 05:55 BST (UK) »
Not a Thomas born in 1869, an Anne to a Thomas, look for Anne to find Thomas.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Anna is listed as ANNE
Born 16th December 1872, parents names are listed, Thomas McManus and Catherine (Catherina) Shine
As you said St.Peters Athlone.
Siblings.....
Katherine  (Kyramms) 13th Jan 1874
John (Joannes) 20th March 1876
Thomas 28th July 1879

In the Tithe records..........
Surname Forename Townland/Street Parish County         Year
Mcmanus Matw        Nure                 Drum  Roscommon 1833
Maggsie

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks all...sorry Sinann...I misunderstood your original post.  Got it now, really appreciate the help...from both of you!