Author Topic: Trying to Find Annie Gibson Turner: abt 1858 England or Scotland?  (Read 3928 times)

Offline ladytgibson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Find Annie Gibson Turner: abt 1858 England or Scotland?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
I was looking at the image and it seems to say she is a half British subject??  Would that be correct? 

I read it as not British Subject.  The "f" seems to be part of the brackets around the following words.

Added: If you look at the line above, it looks like her details were written there first and then crossed out & it definitely says 'not'.

Yes, I see that now. It definitely says not British subject when I look at the above line.  So I have to assume her mother, at least, may have been born in Bermuda as well.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 August 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Great work folks!

Just to add with names Gibson & Sinclair there may be a UK connection?

Parents possibly British?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ladytgibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 August 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
I'm lost on the Sinclair connection?  What is the connection of the Emily Sinclair Gibson and Annie Gibson?  Are we assuming that Emily is her daughter?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 August 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
I'm lost on the Sinclair connection?  What is the connection of the Emily Sinclair Gibson and Annie Gibson?  Are we assuming that Emily is her daughter?

Not assuming anything, just raising it as a possibility - similar timeframe, same middle name as the un-found George Sinclair Turner, and born to an apparently unmarried mother with the surname Gibson.  As Annie turns up in Liverpool in 1911 it's possible she had lived there previously so it seemed worth a mention.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ladytgibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 August 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
When were all birth's recorded?  If someone was born in 1850 in England would their birth have to be recorded?  I'm just wondering why it's so difficult to find birth records for these people.  Are there any other sites that are worthwhile subscribing to find these records?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Civil Registration began in 1837, but it was not until 1875 that it became compulsory.  Before then it was the responsibility of the registrar, from 1875 it became the parent's responsibility and they could be fined for non-registration of a birth.

For marriages the churches kept two copies of their records and one copy was sent to the registrar, so if a marriage took place then there will be a record of it. 

The main site I would use for searching is FreeBMD - this is where Ancestry and several other sites take their data from, and as the name implies, its free to search  :)    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 August 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
What is the source of your information that Annie married George Joseph Turner and had a son in England? 

As mentioned by Girl Guide, the 1837 baptism has the names the other way around, ie Joseph George, but it's not clear how he has been identified as the father of George Sinclair Turner if no birth, baptism or marriage has been found.

Offline ladytgibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 August 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
What is the source of your information that Annie married George Joseph Turner and had a son in England? 

As mentioned by Girl Guide, the 1837 baptism has the names the other way around, ie Joseph George, but it's not clear how he has been identified as the father of George Sinclair Turner if no birth, baptism or marriage has been found.

The only source I have is the Marilyn Simmons family tree. I happen upon that tree while searching for my Grandfather, George Henry Gibson.  I attached a picture of the tree that provided that info.  All the other info attached to Annie Gibson is correct.  The only thing I was able to find was the baptism record.

Name
George Turner
Baptism Date
22 Oct 1876
Baptism Place
Netherthong, All Saints, Yorkshire, England
Parish
Netherthong, All Saints
Search Photos
Netherthong, All Saints, Yorkshire, England

Father
George Turner

Mother
Sarah Turner

Household Members

George Turner 
Sarah Turner 
George Turner

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 August 17 03:03 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Netherthong baptisms are not online so I can't find any further details, but if I'm looking at the right man then the Marilyn Simmons family tree says he died 17 Apr 1916 and the Commonwealth War Graves site lists him as No. 153, Bermuda Militia Artillery.

His military record is online and says he was born Somerset, Bermuda  ???