Author Topic: James CARTWRIGHT, baptised Macclesfield, 23rd December 1771  (Read 946 times)

Offline neil5856

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James CARTWRIGHT, baptised Macclesfield, 23rd December 1771
« on: Sunday 20 August 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anybody help me?

I think my 4x great grandfather was James CARTWRIGHT, baptised in Macclesfield, Cheshire, on 23rd December 1771. His parents have been noted as Ralph and Mary. James, himself, married a Mary, and my 3x great grandfather, William, was born c1796.

However, that is the totality of the information I have. I have no details about his marriage, no date of birth for my 3x great grandfather, or whether there were any other children.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could shed any light on anything that might act as a confirmation.

Yours hopefully,

Neil Cartwright

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James CARTWRIGHT, baptised Macclesfield, 23rd December 1771
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 17 03:34 BST (UK) »
I'm a little confused in that if you don't have William's baptism which you say is ca.1796 (where was this?) how do you know his parents are a James and Mary??

Ralph Cartwright married a Mary Johnson 3/9/1767 Prestbury, Cheshire and beside son James had a Ralph bp.6/10/1773 and Johnson 4/4/1775 also baptised at Macclesfield.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
Do you already have the grave inscription from Prestbury St Peter's ( Ralph & Mary, son Ralph, also Elizabeth Johnson who died in 1767) ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline neil5856

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 August 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette7 and ShaunJ,

Firstly – THANK YOU!! So Annette – your question:

I'm a little confused in that if you don't have William's baptism which you say is ca.1796 (where was this?) how do you know his parents are a James and Mary??

At about the same time that my first daughter was being born (1985), my Uncle Reg was given a photocopy of the flyleaf from a family Bible started by William Cartwright. This was what got me into genealogy. Whilst I have successfully researched many branches of my family (one going back to 1688), the parents of William have always eluded me. Wiliam died in Nantwich in 1873, and in every census, his birthplace is given as Nantwich, except 1851, when his birthplace is given as Willaston. I’ve searched through non-conformist records; I’ve even had researchers carry out research at Kew but to no avail. Then on Sunday, a possible breakthrough.

Another descendant of William, who has carried out detailed research on his line, contacted me. I’d told him of my difficulty in finding my 4x Gt Grandfather, and he gave me the above information. It tied in with two things:

A friend who did some research for me back in 1989 looked at adjoining counties and could find nothing that I didn’t already have. He suggested that he probably came from Manchester (which I discounted).

Secondly, William’s second wife, according to censuses,  was born in Buckley (Which I’d always assumed was a misspelling of ‘Bickley’ near Nantwich), but my friend who contacted me on Sunday, found that her baptism records had her birthplace as Levenshulme, and that like Levenshulme, Buckley was a small village near Manchester. A possible Manchester connection. So I’m partially persuaded and would love to find William’s baptism record.

And ShaunJ – no I don’t – and I’m very grateful for your response. A grave inscription implies a gravestone. Do you know if it’s still standing?  Ralph would be my 5x Gt Grandfather.

Really, I am extremely grateful for your help. I’ve been trying to find William’s parents for more than 30 years, and I'm sure you can understand that if we can confirm it, it would be absolutely wonderful.

Thank you again,

Neil

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
A grave inscription implies a gravestone. Do you know if it’s still standing?

It was a slab, I don't know if it is still there.

" Here lieth interred the body of  Elizabeth Johnson daughter of John Johnson of Bollington Cross, departed this life October 2d 1767 in the 63rd year of her age.
Ralph Cartwright died February 25th 1801 aged 25.
Also Ralph father of the above Ralph Cartwright of Macclesfield who departed this life July 4th 1816 aged 75. Also Mary  wife of the above Ralph Cartwright who departed this life April 3d 1817 Aged 79
"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 02:12 BST (UK) »
Something for you to consider which makes far more sense to me.

Genuki says 'Willaston, a township in the parish of Wybunbury' so checked baptisms in Wybunbury for Cartwright and for the period relevant here (no mothers names shown):

Sarah bp.7/8/1790 Wybunbury, dau. of Joseph of Basford
Maria bp.19/5/1793 Wybunbury, dau. of Joseph of Greasby/Greasly (?)
John bp.10/12/1797      ditto     , son               ditto
Elizabeth bp.3/11/1799  ditto    , dau.              ditto

Now, you'll rightly say 'but there's no William' but I did find this:

William Cartlidge bp.19/7/1795 Wybunbury, son of Joseph of Greasby/Greasly (might be name of a Hamlet or farm as can't believe it is Greasby which is literally miles away) - have looked at the original parish page on FindMyPast and it's not a mistranscription, clearly reads Cartlidge but I'm wondering whether the incumbent at the time wrote it as Cartlidge in error for Cartwright??

I should add there were no other baptisms with the surname Cartlidge and the fact that it names father as Joseph of the same place as the Cartwright baptisms makes me think this is actually the same family and that this is 'your' William born at exactly the right time. 

As to 'Buckley', Genuki says 'Bulkeley or Buckley, a township in the parish of Malpas'.

In actual fact, William does not appear on census as born in Nantwich - in 1841 he lived there but birthplaces not stated on this census and just states he was born in Cheshire.   In both 1851 and 1861 it states birthplace as 'Willaston' and in 1871 simply says 'Cheshire'.

Since Willaston was a township in Wybunbury, I feel sure that William born 1795 Wybunbury, son of Joseph, is actually your man and that the surname of Cartlidge is an error for Cartwright made by the incumbent when he recorded it in the register.

Annette 

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline neil5856

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ and Annette7, thank you very much.

ShaunJ – I rather liked the Macclesfield connection, but it may be that Annette7 has a point. I’d looked through the Wybunbury records many years ago (pre-internet!), but didn’t pick this one out. It’s certainly pretty persuasive and an avenue worth following.

The first appearance of William in Nantwch comes in 1815 in the Poor Rate Assessment book. He is the Occupier of No 58 Hospital St (Annual value: £1/13/47; Assessed value 0/16/8). Ditto for 1816.

By 1831, he is married with three children and occupying No 50 -  a ‘house and outlet’ – (Annual value: £1/10/0; Assessed value 0/15/0). It seems that he has come into Nantwich for work, plying his trade as a cordwainer. It could be argued that if he’d grown up in Macclesfield, he would have turned to Manchester for work.

Willaston is interesting. In 1840, it housed 19 families, one of which was a fairly large and prominent Cartwright family. Unfortunately, I can find no connection.

A William Cartwright married Mary Foden in 1770. They had 12 children. The first was a girl – Elizabeth. The boys who could feasibly be my William’s father are Thomas 1771, Sampson, 1774, William 1778, and James, 1779. (We can discount Sampson as his first child – William – was born in 1807.) It’s interesting, though, that my William’s first three boys are James, Thomas and Samuel, and his first two girls, Mary and Eliza.

All circumstantial, though, as I cannot find a connection.

Yes, Annette7, your Cartlidge baptism is very persuasive – pretty obviously a transcription error. Also, I’m pretty certain that the larger Willaston Cartwright family baptised their babies at St Mary’s in Nantwich.

And for what it’s worth, I was born in Wybunbury!

Thank you again for your hard work and kindness - I reckon we’ve at last found the right child.

Neil

Offline neil5856

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
... and I think this is pretty interesting:

I found this:
GREASLEY, a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham

HOWEVER ...

Notitia Cestriensis, Or Historical Notices of the Diocese of Chester (1845)
p 228
Deanery of Nantwich
WIBUNBURY
Towns 18 Batherton, Basford, Blackenhall, Bridgmere, Chorlton, Checkley-cum-Wrinehill, Dodington, Hatherton, Hough, Hunsterton, Lea, Rope, Shavington-cum-Greasby, Stapeley, Walgherton, Weston, Wigstaston, Wibunbury

Neil