Author Topic: Trying to find what happened to James Lawson!  (Read 4429 times)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find what happened to James Lawson!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 August 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Short answer:
The Last Post is an old, old charity (I think it was created a few years prior to WW1) who's main concern was that every veteran gets a funeral and a headstone, so if a vet passes, and there is no money to pay for that, they paid for the funeral and a military headstone. I don't know if, at it's conception, if the death had to be somewhat a result of military service, as it seems to be today (?):
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/financial/funeral-burial

Last Post has a searchable database for their vets, and any obits that get sent to them, via the Legion Magazine, but this database does not go back far enough for the fellow you are seeking:
https://legionmagazine.com/en/last-post/

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 August 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
I feel bad asking you good people again but does anyone have access to the online Canadian census.
Reading through James' army papers he arrived back in Montreal in March 1919 so hopefully he would appear in the 1921 census  (he was born 1883 Scotland)!

Nah, don't feel bad, ask away, keeps us off the streets and out of trouble. ;D

I did have a look for James on the 1921 census, but no luck. I also checked the 1911 just in case.

Cheers,
DB

Offline auntya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 August 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
bbart,

Thank you for that. Do you think it's worth me contacting LPF to see if they still possess any records? I don't know if they provided any assistance for my man but they could be worth a try!

dbree,

Oh you so might regret saying that. I'm getting the list ready now ;D ;D LOL

Thank you for having a look.
This man is such a mystery. So frustrating.
I know he abandoned (harsh but true) his wife Sarah and children 1911, Ayr Scotland and signed his Attestation papers June 1915 in Montreal. Those papers show his wife Lillie (??) as his next of kin.
My question is, would a marriage certificate have to be provided as proof when these papers were signed or was it just accepted?

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 August 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
I've been watching this thread, but hadn't yet contributed as I've not found anything helpful.  But I now have some comments and questions.  ;D

Hi,

An interesting note in his military file, a letter dated January 1956 addressed to Director, War
Services stating that an employee of the Windsor Star (newspaper), in Windsor, Ontario found
Jame's discharge certificate while going through old books purchased at an auction sale. It may
mean that he spent time in Windsor, Ontario or the book made it rounds in auction sales in
Ontario.

Cheers,
DB

If he didn't have family in Canada near the time of his passing, perhaps his personal items were given away/donated to a charity or other organization?  Or, perhaps he gave his things to a family member/friend and that person eventually gave them away?

Also, could he have lived in the states at some point?  Windsor is just a hop away from the states.

...I doubt he actually married Lily as that would make him a bigamist ( but then again nothing would surprise me)...

It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. ;)  I've found a few men who left their families and started new ones in a different country (and yes, I do believe they actually married without first getting divorces).  We know that one man was even a truly good person, as told to us by children from both families.

I did have a look for James on the 1921 census, but no luck. I also checked the 1911 just in case.

Cheers,
DB

I also looked - it's odd that he has not yet been found.  Was he intentionally trying to hid his identity?  :-\  Or, could the census images have been difficult to read?  Was he moving around quite a bit?  Did he return to the UK for short stays or move to the states, looking for work?   :-\

I've now discovered a James Lawson in the Canadian WW1 Attestation papers, signing up in Montreal.
He states that his birth date is 18/03/1884 born Ayr, Scotland and is a Plasterer.

I was just looking through the Montreal directories again, and finally found him in the 1916-1917 directory (I didn't see his name in the 1914-15 nor 1915-16 directories).

1916-1917 Montreal Directory (and 1917-18)
Lawson, Jas  plasterer   484 Moreau
http://bibnum2.banq.qc.ca/bna/lovell/
He doesn't appear to be in the 1918-19 directory, unless he changed his address and possibly his occupation.

Perhaps you could have a look at later (or earlier) directories for any additional clues?

I'm looking forward to reading about what else is discovered.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 August 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
If you've not used the above link before, this might help:
Click on Montreal et sa banlieue
  Serie principale
  The desired year of publication
  Alphabetical directory
  The correct alphabetical range for Lawson

I hope this helps.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 August 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Great find, Lisa in California!

When you find the page you want in the directory, click on 'affichage plein ecran' at the top to bring up the full page.

Quite a fiddly website but a real gold mine once you get used to it.

I have also come up blank with the 1921 census.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 August 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, PB.  I'm just trying to contribute to the great work by everyone here.   ;D

Looking at James' military file, it's not much, but next of kin was
Lawson, Mrs. Lily K. (452 Morlau? St., Hochelaga, Montreal)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 August 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
In reference to his military file there is at least one image that shows:
Name and Address, Next-of-Kin:  Mrs. Lily Lawson; 484 Moran(?) Street, City Montreal.  Moran is crossed out with Moreau written in.
Relationship: Wife (typed)
Married or Single: Single (typed), lined out with Married (handwritten above)

Why did they type Wife and Single (then later change it to Married)?   :-\

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 August 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
In 1919, his address was recorded as 452 Moreau Street, Montreal, PQ

I wonder if he claimed he was married so that his wife could receive his benefits or if he actually did marry her?   :-\