Author Topic: Unacknowledged Copying  (Read 6449 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Unacknowledged Copying
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 September 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
They have not bought one certificate or visited any Archives, but managed this in less then a couple of weeks.  ::) and guess where they have copied it all from!

But, of course, Ancestry's TV advert gives the impression that it's just a matter of going to their website, typing in your own name and then pretty soon you will have a tree.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
 ;D  :D ;D. That's a bit like the tap dancing Trivago ad Lizzie W - just type in .......... Etc!  Magic!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
I know someone on ancestry had copied a bit from my tree as I made an error with a name and had guessed the date of birth and it looks like they copied it.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Can't help myself 🙄 Looking again at a tree that supposedly has one of my husbands ancestors... Lovely set of census images for the chap in question.  I guess one out of three correct is not bad going. One had the wrong man, wrong wife, the other, wife with correct name but oddly in a completely different County. The fault of ancestry wiggling leaves and folk who believe in their ruddy advert, 😡
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Exactly. We live in an age that expects instant results, and is often all too credulous and easily satisfied.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
They have not bought one certificate or visited any Archives, but managed this in less then a couple of weeks.  ::) and guess where they have copied it all from!

But, of course, Ancestry's TV advert gives the impression that it's just a matter of going to their website, typing in your own name and then pretty soon you will have a tree.

Since I was born in Scotland, according to ancestry I don't exist.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 September 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
I get all this  ::::

But the FACT is that in the future, Ancestry 'TREES' are going to become so.... messed up, that even the person who has the FACTS in front of them won't know what to believe.

I am at the moment reaching the age - where I have to make sure my TREE passes into the right hands, or comes with me ( wherever I am going :) :) )... I am going to have to specifically explain instances like, the Couple who work from Spain ( who I have written to time and again) and have my ggg married to some American 9 year old have got it WRONG.  very wrong...

I actually came across a new tree - being compiled by a very very close blood line relation!?!? but we just dont get to see each other due to a family ..... uhm  upset :(  argh... anyway on reading it.  She had a wonderful tree all copied from Ancestry.. and lots of my filched pics etc...from a time when my tree was public...
She only had to ring or call and it would have been given..

xin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 September 17 10:09 BST (UK) »

Surely there's some relatives who will throw their money around and get a cert or two for the price of a pint?

I do wish the Scottish post-1855 certs gave a wee bit of a clue about the parents.  When most boys are called David, John, William or James it can be hard to know whether the birth registration is your relative or not.  I've gone down the wrong path a few times, but also had some hunches that have paid off.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 September 17 10:24 BST (UK) »

Surely there's some relatives who will throw their money around and get a cert or two for the price of a pint?

I do wish the Scottish post-1855 certs gave a wee bit of a clue about the parents.  When most boys are called David, John, William or James it can be hard to know whether the birth registration is your relative or not.  I've gone down the wrong path a few times, but also had some hunches that have paid off.

I find the certificates are good with the information on parents, much better than English ones for cross referencing.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others