Author Topic: Edwin J Wyllie 1916 -1944  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Edwin J Wyllie 1916 -1944
« on: Saturday 26 August 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Edwin Jones Wyllie was born in Dundee on 10 March 1916, son of William Wyllie and Emma Jones. He had an elder brother Robert, born 27 May 1914, and a younger brother Albert Thoms, born 11 October 1919. The family emigrated to USA in 1927 and settled in New York. I think Albert may be the one who is listed in the SSDI with date of death 7 December 2000, although the DoB in the SSDI is 18 not 11 October. I have no DoDs for William, Emma or Robert.

However I have found on both Findagrave and Billiongraves a stone commemorating Edwin J Wyllie, DoD 24 September 1944 and buried in Long Island National Cemetery. He was a corporal in the army so I presume that he was killed in action or died as a result or the war. The US Veterans' Affairs Office is referred to on both web sites, but having looked at the VA web site, there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for asking them where Edwin was killed and whether or not he was married, as one can find on the UK's Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site.

Can anyone suggest how I might find out more about Edwin's death?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin J Wyllie 1916 -1944
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello. Have you been able to find him in the free 1940 US census? That should tell you whether he was married or single, among other things. Hope this helps. patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 August 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
This may be his enlistment, in which case he was unmarried as of 27 Nov 1942.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8RK-ZLK
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 August 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you for the suggestion. I have him in the 1940 census, and he was unmarried.

Thank you also for the enlistment details. So the chances are he was still unmarried when he died. But he was listed as single, with dependents, whatever that implies.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 03:52 BST (UK) »
...But he was listed as single, with dependents, whatever that implies...

Is there a chance that he claimed his parents as dependents; or, could he have had an ill sibling who was dependent upon him?

I found a brief form on one of the pay sites.
[Text in black - typed on card.  Text in green - handwritten on card]
Interment in Long Island Cemetery
Wyllie, Edwin J.
State:  NY
Serial No.: (which I won't include, due to privacy reasons)
Religious Emblem:  Latin Cross      or Star of David
  Latin Cross is checkmarked
Birth: March 10, 1916
Death: September 24, 1944    Interred: November 17, 1947
Sec. or Plot H, Grave or Lot 11654
Remarks: WWII Repatriation   :'(
Date gravestone ordered: Green Mountain, VI?     January 13, 1948
Service Data: CMP   WWII   U.S. Army Military Police
Dates of Service - Enlistment    or Died on A.D.    or Discharge    or Retirement
   Died on A.D. is checkmarked
Headstone was shipped to (Railroad Station) Pinelawn, L.I. (Long Island), New York
Note:  His name, rank and serial number have green checkmarks next to the text
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 04:36 BST (UK) »
Again, using a pay site, I found the following

Social security application and claims index
  Has the same birth and death dates that you mentioned (from the SSDI), and
Albert Thoms Wyllie [Albert T Wyllie]
Birth place:  Dundee, United Kingdom
Parents:  William Wyllie and Emma Jones
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 04:46 BST (UK) »
Petition for Naturalization
William Wyllie, born January 1, 1891, Dundee, Scotland
Stated his children were all born in Dundee, Scotland
Robert - May 27, 1914
Edwin - March 10, 1916
Albert - October 18, 1919

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 05:43 BST (UK) »
Details from William's declaration of intention (naturalization)
Fair complexion, blue eyes, brown hair, 5' 2 1/2", weight 145 pounds.  Painter.  Born:  January 2, 1891.

Could this be your William?
WWII Draft Registration Card
William Wyllie, Box A, West Brentwood, Suffolk, New York
Birthdate:  January 1, 1891
Birthplace:  Dundee, Scotland
Employer: Pilgrim State Hospital, West Brentwood
Blue eyes, gray hair, ruddy complexion, 5' 2", 135 pounds

I just noticed the signatures from both documents.   ::)  The signatures are almost identical.  The W, y and l in his names are unusual and I would be very surprised if it isn't the same man signing the documents.  It appears that William was living in West Brentwood in 1943.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Lisa!

I have checked again and William's birth was definitely registered in 1890, so he gave a wrong date of birth if he said it was either 1 or 2 January 1891. I will re-check Albert's DoB too next time I go to the Scotland's People Centre. It is too recent to view online.

I think Albert T Wyllie may have died in the Bronx on 7 December 2000, and Robert in Fort Lauderdale on 29 January 2000. However I have not as yet been able to access any obituaries.