Author Topic: SMITH, George - Midmar (Aberdeenshire) War Memorial  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH, George - Midmar (Aberdeenshire) War Memorial
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
A personal observation regarding why he is recorded here could be the fact that, if you have the correct George Smith who was born in Fintray,  it is only about 14 or so miles from Midmar.

Thanks, Dorrie.  I would have thought that might get him listed on the Fintray Memorial.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
I hadn't been able to see the memorial via the first link but Dorrie's guidance did the trick.  I'd agree that it is SG for Scots Guards and would urge contact with the Scots Guards.

That's a reasonable suggestion, Max, but the cost of that (£30 plus the additional expense of an internaional bank cheque) is prohibitive.

(I understand why they charge.  I have no issue with the fact that they charge.  However, the overall expense is disproportionate to my level of interest in the result.)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Understood, having been involved in war memorial deciphering myself I know there are limits!  The phrase "thought to be ..." is quite useful and sometimes if very lucky brings a real clue out of the woodwork!

Good luck

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi.....

Having work on records for 12 of our local village memorials here in Buckinghamshire I have come across entries for names I cannot place in the area. A couple have been recorded in the place their grandparents lived at that time. Others have been workers on the farms and estates and only in the village a short while. Believed to be would be a good line to follow and back up with the info available.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
This is a really good one.

Aberdeen P.O.W's list includes a

Smith, George A.T. Private, 9294, 1st.Battalion, The Scots Guards.

His sister, Mrs James King, The Gardeners Lodge, Balnagask, Torry, Aberdeen wrote several letters to both the Scots Guards, and the Prisoners of War Committee. George had been wounded and taken prisioner. In 29 Dec 1914, the Scots Guards wrote back to both the sister and the P.O.W C. stating that the Scots Guards had NO record of George. The P. O.W.C. again wrote to the Scots Guards. It was then thought that there may have been a bit of confusion with his name, and perhaps he had been recorded as Private A.T. Smith. On the 6th January 1915, Captain A.C. Douglas, Regimental Adjutant of the Scots Guards wrote that there still was confusion regarding George A.T. Smith. The last letter that the POW archives holds shows no resolution to the confusion.

As for the 1911 census for Nairn, there is a 16 year old George A.T. Smith listed.

The sister would seem to be an Elizabeth Allan Smith, who married in 1902 in Nairn, birth registered in 1885, Old Machar.

I think the only way to resolve this would to purchase the certs from Scotland's People.

Regards

Malky

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 August 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky

Thank you for that information about the confusion around George.

I have a similar situation with a great-great-uncle here in Aus.  In that case, he had contracted meningitis at training camp and was sent home.  The family knew where he was but it was clear from his file the Army had no idea.

As for the 1911 census for Nairn, there is a 16 year old George A.T. Smith listed.

The sister would seem to be an Elizabeth Allan Smith, who married in 1902 in Nairn, birth registered in 1885, Old Machar.

There's no doubt this is the right family.  On the 1891 census William Smith, occupation Gardener (born Banffshire) and his wife Mary (born Banchory) are living at Cothal Mills, Fintray with daughters Marion E P and Elizabeth A (both born Old Machar).  In 1901 William and Mary are in Nairn with Elizabeth and sons William J F and George A T (both sons born Fintray).  In 1911 the Nairn household consists of William, Mary, Marion E P and George A T. 

Both Father William and Sister Marion are listed on the register of Soldier's Effects for George A Smith 9294.  His death was presumed to have been "on or since" 2 January 1915.  The Soldiers Killed in the Great War record indicates Killed In Action, but the POW file suggests otherwise.