Author Topic: Looking into my Maltese ancestry to no avail. Help!  (Read 1307 times)

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking into my Maltese ancestry to no avail. Help!
« on: Monday 28 August 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
I'm looking into my Maltese ancestry, and I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

My dad is Maltese and I know the name of my great granddad (my dad's paternal granddad), Sam Apap. I'm trying to find out the name's of his parents and so on and see how far back I can go, but either the records are scarce or I'm looking in the wrong place.

My great-granddad was born sometime between the mid 1920's and the early 1930's.

Unfortunately, during WW2 a lot of church records were destroyed by bombing and I fear this may be the case here. My family history may remain a mystery forever.
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking into my Maltese ancestry to no avail. Help!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
You can order Maltese birth, marriage, and death certificates:
https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/department.aspx

Did Sam Apap live all his life in Malta, or did he emigrate?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
I knew my great-granddad a bit, met him a few times. He went to live in Australia towards the last years of his life around 2007. Apart from that, I think he lived in Malta all of his life.

Looking into my Scottish ancestry on my mum's side was really easy, and I got all of my info for free. I'm not really in a position to spend money on ancestry at the moment. Just looking simply for names so I don't really think that warrants spending money.
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:12 BST (UK) »

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 18:30 BST (UK) »
Since it's so recent, the best place to get information for free would be to talk to any relatives who might either have old documents/photos or remember him talking about family. Presumably if he lived in Malta most of his life then he had children who emigrated to Australia from Malta?

You can find guides online which explain how to structure a family history interview, sometimes you get better results by letting people just talk about their childhood rather than giving them pages of questions to answer.

If you can get information about locations/addresses, it might be worth seeing if you can connect with relatives currently living in Malta.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Do you know where in Australia he lived?
White pages Oz has 58 listings for Apap, nationally. And one site says in 2000 there were 80 listings in Queensland alone, for Apap.

There used to be a sizeable Maltese community in the Mackay area in Qld, mostly sugar farmers, though there don't seem to be any/many of that name there now.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 17 10:15 BST (UK) »

My dad is Maltese and I know the name of my great granddad (my dad's paternal granddad), Sam Apap. I'm trying to find out the name's of his parents and so on and see how far back I can go, but either the records are scarce or I'm looking in the wrong place.

My great-granddad was born sometime between the mid 1920's and the early 1930's.

Unfortunately, during WW2 a lot of church records were destroyed by bombing and I fear this may be the case here. My family history may remain a mystery forever.
do you have the names of any siblings of Sam ??   may help in our research - meanwhile have a look through these 50 pages

http://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&sourcename=&ignore_each_patronyme=&ignore_each_prenom=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&nom=apap&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=Malta&country__0__=MLT&region__0__=&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1
I wonder if Sam is an Anglicised name of Salvatore ?..Apap buried here -Paola , Santa Maria Addolorata Cemetery ...
any little bit of info would help -
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 17 10:27 BST (UK) »

Do you have Sams wifes name ??
any relation ??...from Scullen Avenue ,Innisfall Queensland ,Australia
http://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=6995986
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:00 BST (UK) »
Have a quick look at the site attached, although mainly for military the name Apap pops up a few times on the voters lists going back from 1920 - http://www.maltafamilyhistory.com/
Good luck - GedB