Author Topic: Sheffield Park 1852 - Hobsons Lane & Anson Street  (Read 744 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheffield Park 1852 - Hobsons Lane & Anson Street
« on: Wednesday 06 September 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with a map showing these two streets, which were possibly close to the either the brickworks or the railway station?

I have a private baptism on 26 Apr 1852 giving an address of 26 Hobsons Lane, followed by a burial three days later giving an address of Anson Street.  The parents were itinerant workers with no known links to Sheffield, so I'm interested in how close these two properties were and why they would have moved if they had a desperately ill child. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffield Park 1852 - Hobsons Lane & Anson Street
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Quick google search gives this, with Anson Street named 8 times, just to get started:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/research/Park-Hill-and-Hyde-Park-Study-Guide--PDF--1-63-MB-.pdf

You can find Anson Street on 1911 census.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Anson Street here:

Removed - was Aston Street, sorry.

Anson Street is still on modern maps.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is the right Anson Street:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.21009108507861&lat=53.3820&lon=-1.4605&layers=171&b=1
(Use transparency slider at the bottom left to see overlay)

As you can see, it used to be longer than it is today.

It will be more difficult to find any "Lanes" as often they are not marked. It might be worth looking on old-maps.co.uk in the vicinity of Anson St in case one of those maps gives more detail.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 September 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking.   I managed to locate Anson Street but Hobson's Lane is still eluding me - I can't even find it on a census.  The nearest match is Hobson's Yard, which seems to be somewhere off Scotland Street. 

It doesn't seem too far - less than a mile - but I still cant get my head around why they would move when they had a 9-month old ill enough to get privately baptised.   From what I can gather the whole area was a slum, and as I know they often stayed in common lodging houses perhaps the answer is that they simply didn't have a permanent address so had to keep moving on, even with a dying (dead?) baby in tow.  How awful !
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 September 17 07:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, I found Hobson's Yard in censuses, not yet Hobson's Lane.

Yes, no permanent address so had to move.