Author Topic: The Ward Brothers in WW1  (Read 1465 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
The Ward Brothers in WW1
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am helping a friend with their family history & am having a little trouble confirming the WW1 service of the following four brothers, who all survived the war as far as I can tell.

I am unable to determine 100% as to which regiments etc  they were in, largely due to the fact that I currently do not have any access to either Ancestry or FindMyPast & therefore am unable to view any original documents.

The four brothers in question were:

Robert William Henry Ward (1877-1956)
Horace William Ward (1879-1967)
Percy Samuel Ward (1884-1930)
Ernest Ward (1886-1965?)

They were all born in St Pancras, London.

Robert William Henry Ward, there is on FindMyPast a London Gazette Entry for him, possibly in 1919. Would anyone be able to look this up for me please?

Horace William Ward, my friend has a postcard sent by Horace from the front to his son as a birthday card. This postcard has Horace's regiment upon it & is 'The something Fusiliers', when I spoke to my friend the other day they didn't have the postcard to hand & couldn't remember the full name of the regiment. I believe this entry on familysearch may well be him but am not certain: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVB5-Z8DQ

Percy Samuel Ward, I have found the following possibilities, are they one & the same though? ie starting in the first regiment then being transferred/posted to the second regiment?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVBL-7TYS
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVBL-7TY9

Ernest Ward, there is this possibility for Ernest as the age is right & he was residing in London, Islington area to be precise: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVBL-WWRS

If anyone can assist with confirming the above, or assisting in locating the correct war details for these men if the above proves to be wrong would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Ward Brothers in WW1
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
The two records for Percy Samuel Ward are for the same man as his service record has survived.
He was called up for service 31 Oct 1917 and transferred to the Pays Corps 2 Nov 1917. His next of kin was his mother , Mrs Esther Ward of 87 Fairbridge Road , Hollway. He seems to have had various health issues , having had rheumatic fever and suffering fainting fits . which made him unfit for active service.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine53,

Many thanks indeed, that is most definitely him as his mother was indeed Esther Ward, the address also matches that mentioned in his probate record.

That's one down three to go! ;D

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
The record for Ernest Ward , number 6872 London Regiment , gives next of kin as his wife Frances Bertha Chamberlayne , whom he married 27 Oct 1915. He was attested 11-12-15 and discharged 14.10.16. as no longer physically fit for war service. He was issued with a Silver War Badge and the record states that he was discharged sick.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
The London Gazette entry is for a Robert Frank Ward , so not your man I'm afraid. ( I expect you were searching with name variants ticked , as I did ? )

Horace William is proving a little difficult as there seem to be quite a few Horace Wards.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
There is a Robert William Henry Ward , a Sergeant in  8 and 29 London Regiment , numbers 507 & 783134, in the Medal Rolls , but there are no service records surviving that I can see, so cannot confirm whether he is "yours".

The entry in the Rolls states Theatre of War 1a , which I understand is France & Belgium , 25.10.16 -6.4.18.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine53,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

I think that the Ernest Ward regiment is looking good, although I had missed that marriage somehow! ::) The family were living in the Islington/Holloway area so Hendon area wouldn't be that surprising for a marriage.

I did wonder about that Gazette entry, shame but thanks for checking anyway.

As regards Horace William he was listed as H W Ward on familysearch as per my link.

For Robert there was this possibility, but the letters of the forenames are in the wrong order? Was this a transcription error? Robert was as it happens a Postman by trade: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVB5-GKMQ

Just caught your post re the Robert William Henry Ward in the London Regiment, thanks for that. Would it be possible to check the one in my link for Robert as that was for 8th Battalion London Regiment as well.

My thanks for you assistance with this, its very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi David ,

W H R Ward , number S32201 , is William Herbert Reginald Ward, so not the right one , at least you can rule him out !

I'm off to bed now but I'm sure someone else will be along , either tonight or tomorrow.

Good night for now.

Christine

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Many thanks for that, definitely ruled out as you say!

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David