Author Topic: february 1933 wolverhampton newspaper lookup request please  (Read 1413 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
february 1933 wolverhampton newspaper lookup request please
« on: Saturday 09 September 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
 Hi there, my grandfather was born in January 1933 his parents had been married for 9 years with two daughters born 1925 and 29 and my grandfather was adopted to his mothers aunt when he was a baby and my grandfather was told his mother had died, he later found out she went to Stafford mental asylum due to milk fever he later found her in her 90s alive, she died in 1994 aged 95. she spent her whole life in there from 1933 till the asylum closed in the 80s or 90s. We just found out from my granddad cousin that infact his mom tried to commit suicide by jumping out window with  my few week old grandad in her arms and she was going to be arrested but sent to asylum instead. her name was mary elkington
they lived at old heath road Wolverhampton she was admitted 20th feb 1933 aged 33 years.
please could someone search express and star or any other local newspaper to see if any article was published about it. much appreciated thankyou

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: february 1933 wolverhampton newspaper lookup request please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
Nothing coming up in the newspapers on find my past for 1933

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
thanks weste I looked there too, hopefully someone can have a look in Wolverhampton archives for me I believed they have express and star in there amongst over Wolverhampton papers

Offline huxleycl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
I will be at Wolverhampton Archives tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and will ask what records they have to help your search.

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Oh wow that would be great thankyou I Did email Stafford record office few years back and apparently the asylum records don't exist for that year but had her cover note stating she was admitted 20 Feb 1933. I wonder if the express and star covers any info I know wolverhampton archives have microfilms of express and star

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Huxleycl did u find anything at record office? Kind regards

Offline huxleycl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
I didnt get an opportunity to look at the Express & Star newspapers for your enquiry but will be going again tomorrow morning when I will have plenty of time to go through both the Express & Star and the Wolverhampton Chronicle for your information, if I find anything how will I get photocopies to you.

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 September 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for that huxley really appreciate it. My grandad was born 4th January 1933 and his mom admitted 20th February 1933 so be between those dates but I'd imagine itl be very close to 20th Feb or maybe on that date. Kind regards

Offline huxleycl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello, I went to wolverhampton Archives this morning and looked at the Express and Star from 1st January to 3rd March looking on every page but there was nothing about your Grandfather the paper was very delicate so I had to be very careful with it but most of the news seems to have been about war with Germany, sorry I couldnt help you>