Author Topic: Horden Grave yard  (Read 2001 times)

Offline betty_boouk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Horden Grave yard
« on: Monday 01 August 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather James Thomas is buried I believe in Horden church yars, Co. Durham  however, I have just learned that the council removed all the headstones and levelled the ground due to vandalism.  Is there anyway I can find out if he was buried here and the date?
Thanks
Jane
Cumberland - Cook
Durham - Thomas, Meeks
Lincolnshire - Dudley, Toynbee
Leicestershire - Dudley, Bloodowrth, Hill, Hollingsworth
Staffordshire - Thomas
Westmoreland - Wills

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horden Grave yard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 05 22:36 BST (UK) »
If the council obeyed the law there should a transcript of the inscription sent to the Registrar General within two months of the date of removal.

Apart from that there should still be the burial register containing a list of all who were buried there.
These are often kept at the local crematorium
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 July 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm wondering if your Thomas's are the same as mine. Mine originated in Staffordshire but moved to Horden to work at Horden pit?

Susan
Names: Boggon, Beardsley, Coulthard, Thomas, Tate, Smart, Stark, Ridley, Hudson, Hardy, Lloyd, Curry, Fairclough, Thompson, Allen, Simon, Jones, Hunter.
Areas: Durham, Northumberland, Staffs, Shropshire, Lancashire, Scotland,Wales, Ireland

Offline coyote99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, my great grandparents are buried at St Mary's cemetery Horden and there is a list of headstone inscriptions. I think I contacted the local council and they emailed the page containing my G Grandparents inscription. It's a few years since I obtained the info but I'm fairly sure it was from the council.
Coyote99

Offline coyote99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
I've just found the article on Horden St Mary cemetery which was in The Sunderland Echo. There is a 49 page copy of the gravestone survey at Horden Library. If you contact them I'm sure they will be able to help.

Coyote99

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 August 17 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge Horden Library has been closed for some time now. I was in Horden a few weeks ago and the shutters were down.

I know they had a lot of local history there as a very helpful assistant, Sandra Brown, helped me trace some of my relatives who lived in the area back in the 1800's.

I would hope their collection of past history articles would have been transferred to another library and not destroyed.

The phone no. I used was 0191 5863887 to contact Sandra.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Just done a Google search and it appears Horden Library is still open on a very limited scale, Monday and Friday 9.30am to 7pm. Saturday morning 9.30 to 12.30.

Phone no. now 03000 269507.

Let's hope my friend Sandra is still there as she is very helpful. I'll be up there again in April so I'll make a point of calling in.
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby