Author Topic: Seeking Ada Sullivan  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Stephen Collicoat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Ada Sullivan
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
There is a well researched paper by Patricia Summerling entitled. 'The darker side of Motherhood. Abortion and Infanticide in South Australia 1870 - 1910' that suggests women in that time were often victims of a very nasty system. Numerous articles at the time pointed out the often lax morals of many of the men at that time. It certainly doesn't support any rose coloured view of Adelaide in the past.

I will be carefully following through in my family history on the comments, criticisms and helpful suggestions that I have received, but this takes time to digest, rather than swiftly posting back responses.

My purpose has always been to simply determine if there is any firm evidence about the life of Ada Sullivan in the 16 or 17 years prior to her marriage. To have had the tremendous support of so many skilled researchers is wonderful and the fact that no one can find any evidence suggests it probably never can be found and unless something dramatically different surfaces, I think I should let this intriguing subject quietly recede into the background.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
It certainly doesn't support any rose coloured view of Adelaide in the past.
Or any other city for that matter.

You have sought help with limited information and there was more and appear reluctant to answer any of questions which really do not require in depth thought. 

I have further suggestions but will as you suggest let the subject quietly recede into the background.

Good luck.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 03:27 BST (UK) »
While letting things fade into the background, may I please include the following link to the paper by Patricia Sumerling.   

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/documents/author/sumerling/index.shtml
The Darker Side of Motherhood: Abortion and Infanticide in South Australia by Patricia Sumerling.
This essay first appeared in the Journal of the Historical Society of South Australia, vol 13, 1985, pp.111-127.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.