Author Topic: Unknown relatives in Québec, Canada for dating  (Read 810 times)

Offline Ancestrologie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown relatives in Québec, Canada for dating
« on: Monday 11 September 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I was recently given these two cabinet cards of unknown relatives. Both pictures were taken in Nicolet, Québec (Canada). I would really appreciate if someone could help me date the pictures to help me identify the people.

1. I have no idea who the family is. The photographer is P. A. Papillon and worked in Nicolet, Québec. There is nothing on the back of the picture (plain black).

2. I am hoping the gentleman could be either John Bergeron (1867-1937) or his brother Paul (1870-1941). John married young, had many children. His wife died in 1918. Paul never married and we don't have a picture of him so far. I am attaching a picture of John when he was older to compare with the unidentified man. There is nothing on the back of the picture except a tiny fading red stamp of the photographer's name.

Thank you so much,
Ancestrologie

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown relatives in Québec, Canada for dating
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Can't help with the dating but these two would have to be the same bloke - unless brother Paul very closely resembled his brother. The older John's eyes appear more open, but young John is probably squinting. Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
The 1st. 2 were taken around the same time so not the same person.
They are very typically early - mid Edwardian.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Ancestrologie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 05:39 BST (UK) »
The 1st. 2 were taken around the same time so not the same person.
They are very typically early - mid Edwardian.

Thank you Jim, I am not sure very familiar with Edwardian era. Could you tell me what years approximatively the photos were taken?

Thank you McGroger. I am thinking it could be John or brother Paul. It appears curious to me that a married man would be photographed on his own and not with his wife and family. Any thoughts?

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
Wouldn’t presume to answer for Jim (much) but here is Wikipedia’s definition:
“The Edwardian era or Edwardian period of British history covers the brief reign of King Edward VII, 1901 to 1910, and is sometimes extended in both directions to capture long-term trends from the 1890s to the First World War.” 
So say the first half dozen years from the turn of the century for the first two photos.

Regarding a family man’s picture being taken alone, I imagine it could have been quite common, depending on his role in the community.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Ancestrologie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you. It could be John after all.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
First photo:  the little girl leaning against whom could be her father - she appears to have an eye injury to one if not both eyes.  While it could have been a temporary problem, do you know of any individuals who had vision concerns?

Second photo:  the man appears to be quite tanned, comparing his fingernail against his hand colour.  It may be my computer (or more likely, me), but his face also appears to be tanned below the eyes - could he have had an outside occupation, and thus have tanned hands and worn a hat to shade part of his face?

The above may seem like odd statements, but "nitpicking" one of my unknown photographs led to me eventually figuring out most of the people.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ancestrologie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 17 02:25 BST (UK) »
Lisa, you are absolutely right.

The man was a farmer, built his own farm, house, etc. He started from zero in a small village where there wasn't much when he arrived.

As for the little girl, I did notice her eye. I asked around in the family but no luck.

Thank you

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 17 02:58 BST (UK) »
...1. I have no idea who the family is. The photographer is P. A. Papillon and worked in Nicolet, Québec. There is nothing on the back of the picture (plain black)...

Have you found John's family in census returns?  If so, could you compare his family's information from the 1901 or 1911 census to the photograph?  Do the ages and order of gender match up to the photograph?

I've noticed on a few census returns that medical issues have been noted.  Perhaps if the eye condition was not temporary, it may have been noted on a census return (which could help identify the little girl and her family)?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)