Author Topic: Criminal records  (Read 1178 times)

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Criminal records
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
 I have unfortunately just found out that a potential past family member was in prisoned in Glasgow in 1922. Are there any records of court cases to view on line, as i would like to find out the mans, age and address
Kind regards colcal

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
You could try searching on to see what shows. I searched for trial and 1920 and at least two entries came up. You can search more specifically with a name.

If you have dates, you can also try searching with more specific dates in the Glasgow Herald online to see if anything shows there.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
I have looked in The Glasgow Herald and there is an article on 22.03.1922 about the man i have been trying to trace. His name was Alexander Robertson, dock labourer,  he was sentenced to 12 months hard labour for neglecting his wife and four children. It did not report the wife's name, she said they had been married 20 yrs, had 13 children of which only 4 have survived,  3 were in the poor house and the eldest in service, so sad. All i need to find out is his date of birth, the wifes name or an address.
I have looked online and found out that criminal records are locked for 75 yrs so if anyone knows how to access court records i would be very grateful
Regards colcal

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 September 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you cannot access the records. The records are sealed for the closure period which can be up to 100 years depending upon which Level of Court dealt with the case. In addition to this the case files are "weeded" and only a selection are handed to the National Records for archiving.
Given the nature of the offence it may have been the local Sheriff Court which dealt with the case and it is those records which have the longer closure period

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 September 17 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi colcal,
I'm wondering if it might be worth contacting the Mitchell Library and seeing if they can do a search for 1922 for the 3 children in the poorhouse?  Depending on how many with the surname Robertson, they might be able to identify the siblings if they were all admitted on the same date and therefore more details of their parents etc.  I think there is a 100 year privacy period for records of individuals so it may not be possible but could be worth a try!
Regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. I'm really not having much luck tracing this Alexander Robertson but I will try writing to the Mitchel Library and ask them if there is a poor law record.
Kind regards colcal