Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 14072 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #234 on: Sunday 24 September 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
At least you know the ones in the cemetery will still be there when you go back.

How far back have you got with Alexander Cameron?

People moved around back in the day for different reasons & Alexander's father was born Inverness-shire which is probably around half way between Nairn & Fodderty.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Sunday 24 September 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Not very far on Alexander Cameron.  I have that his father is Hugh, born 1835 Inverness, and his father is Alexander born 1799 Kiltarlity.

I'm only on my second Cameron relation, the first one was not close, but this one in Fodderty is not too far - but no matches to the tree I want yet and they go from 1806 - 1947

Could this be Maggie in Toronto, 1911?
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1911/Pages/item.aspx?itemid=7179584
age and ethnic origin wrong (but not too far off)
The only one I found who's not living with other Noble (or Cameron) famiy

At least you know the ones in the cemetery will still be there when you go back.

How far back have you got with Alexander Cameron?

People moved around back in the day for different reasons & Alexander's father was born Inverness-shire which is probably around half way between Nairn & Fodderty.

Annie
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Monday 25 September 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
I looked at that census but the writing is too small for me to read what the columns say.

Can you identify with the area where the census was taken i.e. the address & is it near where she gave birth, married or settled?

That's the only thing I can think of for the possibility.

I had a list typed up with her age given on all the docs but I think I deleted it.

From memory I think her age was quite consistent but the chances are someone else gave details for the census?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Monday 25 September 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
Not very far on Alexander Cameron.  I have that his father is Hugh, born 1835 Inverness, and his father is Alexander born 1799 Kiltarlity.

I'm only on my second Cameron relation, the first one was not close, but this one in Fodderty is not too far - but no matches to the tree I want yet and they go from 1806 - 1947

The more info. on trees online from paper trails the more likely a match as people identify with it better & sometimes people don't have siblings or know about them until they come across potentials so it's worth putting your paper trail details out there.

I was helping someone online not too long ago (probably less than a year) & someone else identified with info. I'd given about my relative.
That person didn't know there were any siblings of the person they identified with until I gave them the info.
I then discovered that person had info. on a sibling of my 3 x g g/father.
The person was working away from home & was going to get in touch when he arrived back but I haven't heard from him & now I can't find the post to get in touch with him.
I don't know whether the sibling was male or female either...nothing  ::)
I don't know whether that sibling married in Scotland, died here or immigrated....one day I'm sure I will come across the link but frustrating to have a 'carrot' so to speak  ;D

Annie

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Monday 25 September 17 02:57 BST (UK) »

Her religion is wrong too.  :-[

I just found that Prospect Cemetery has a find a grave map.....  However you still might need the office to be open to actually find it, they might give you names of surrounding graves so you know when you are close.   Usually there is numbers painted on the walkways or curbs so you know when you are in the right area, so if you want to try going on a Sunday when the office is closed, try this:

Edit: In case she has no headstone, look for her "neighbours" to know if you are in the right spot:
17/3562 William Keats
17/3563 Maggie
17/3564 Raymond Fitzsimmons
17/3565 couldn't find a match
17/3566 David Henderson

Hopefully one or more has a headstone, so you can determine whether Maggie does, or if it's just  patch of grass.

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:46 BST (UK) »

Her religion is wrong too.  :-[

I just found that Prospect Cemetery has a find a grave map.....  However you still might need the office to be open to actually find it, they might give you names of surrounding graves so you know when you are close.   Usually there is numbers painted on the walkways or curbs so you know when you are in the right area, so if you want to try going on a Sunday when the office is closed, try this:

Edit: In case she has no headstone, look for her "neighbours" to know if you are in the right spot:
17/3562 William Keats
17/3563 Maggie
17/3564 Raymond Fitzsimmons
17/3565 couldn't find a match
17/3566 David Henderson

Hopefully one or more has a headstone, so you can determine whether Maggie does, or if it's just  patch of grass.

amazing help. Good to know I can go when it's not "open".  :D
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
You guys have been such a help on this! I'm a graphic designer with 25 years experience using Photoshop. Please message me if you want any photo restoration help. If you have a large file we can email.

THANKS

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 05:38 BST (UK) »
It's a been a fun run!  I'm still poking around the directories, but I think we have turned over every rock thus far.  Let us know how the cemetery goes, and when I run dry, I'll pm you for your email so I can send all the documents I've collected.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
Sarah, I have been very surprised to learn that my great grandmother may have "left" another daughter in Scotland when she came south. I had no idea. If you would like any further details on Margaret Cant b 1866, and her various children do get in touch.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley