Author Topic: Requesting registrar to search for a birth  (Read 4721 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting registrar to search for a birth
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 September 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
In Dec quarter of 1844 there is a possible marriage in Merthyr Tydvil between a James Davis and Gwenllian Thomas ( they are just two of the names on the list and no way of knowing if they married each other). However in the 1851 census in Merthyr there is a James Davis age 28 with a wife Gwenllian 27 and a 4 month old daughter Elizabeth. There is a birth in Dec quarter 1850 of a Elizabeth Davis who's mmn seems to be Thomas. Might be worth a look.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll take a closer look & also see if I can tie anything in with the family Jenkins/Thomas family in Aberdare. 

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 September 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Jomot, to get to Aberdare and the marriage -what led you to that marriage in the first place? The death of your ancestor doesn't give a place in Wales and is way off with age . Something just doesn't quite sit right with me-. For instance , why does her child on the mothers death name her mother's father a different surname , if her own mother never used that surname?( why would the child know?)
Do you have the birth certificate of the child that is your ancestor ? What does it say on it?
(I can't trace someone without the beginnings. It's so very easy to go off on the wrong track)

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell

I know for certain that the Henry Morgan / Ann Davies marriage is correct as whilst most of the family moved to Ohio, one of Ann's sons, Edwin, remained in Durham and was my mum's granddad.  The family here in Durham kept in touch with the family in Ohio right through until the death of Maria's eldest daughter in the early 1980's.

The story of the family's move from Aberdare to Durham to Ohio is therefore something I've known from being very young, although I've obviously verified it all as part of my FH research and apart from some 'glossing-over' of the less palatable parts, it's all checked out.   

Why Maria named 'James Nichlos' as Ann's father is a complete mystery though, which I have no hope of solving until I find Ann's birth certificate.   My mum's aunt had a lot of the original family papers, which probably could have given me the answer, but unfortunately her family destroyed it all when she died.  ::)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 September 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
There is a James Nicholas in Aberdare in 1851. He has a wife Sarah but no children. I can't find him on any other census. Maria says that the maiden name if her mother is Ann Davies when she marries Llewelyn Davies in 1913 in Ohio. Subsequently on Ann's death certificate she says that her mother's father is James Nichlos. Perhaps she was aware that her mother was illegitimate.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 September 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
I'd noted James & Sarah (reply #25) but haven't been able to make a connection so far.   I agree that Ann may well have been illegitimate, but proving it either way is the headache!

I think all I can do, unless anyone magically comes up with something, is revert to plan A and hope the register office will take pity on me & go above and beyond.

I hugely appreciate everyone's efforts though.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 September 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
I suggest you get moderator to transfer this topicto the Welsh board and maybe some helpful rootschatter will be able to look at some records when they go to local office

Also they may have knowledge of  nearest schools
School records often list parent or guardian

I too am trying to link common names Roberts and Jones

It's worth checking if the mother applied for an affiliation or Bastardy order for the child

Do you know where she went in later years .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 September 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions. 

Checking schools sounds a very good idea but I think I'll wait to see what comes back from the search request first, and also do some more work on the possible Thomas/Jenkins links. 

If you're referring to Ann she was in Stockton, Durham by 1873 and remained at the same address until at least 1901.  She left for Ohio in 1908 giving her last address as that of one of her sons in Aberdare (all of her sons were born in England, but all except one moved 'back' to Wales in early 1900.  Two then moved to Ohio).

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 September 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
There is a James Nicholas in Aberdare in 1851. He has a wife Sarah but no children. I can't find him on any other census. Maria says that the maiden name if her mother is Ann Davies when she marries Llewelyn Davies in 1913 in Ohio. Subsequently on Ann's death certificate she says that her mother's father is James Nichlos. Perhaps she was aware that her mother was illegitimate.
Isobel
Hi,
That's why it doesn't make sense. Her mother would have to told her daughter that name,  not something that people did in  those times.
I feel I am tracing two very different families. There is a family in Aberdare that meets all criteria,  but they stay there. (I know the area)

What exactly does it say on any of the children's birth certs? (especially on Maria's birth cert)?
Kind Regards: )
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u