Author Topic: Ballynonty  (Read 1793 times)

Offline tlon3306

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballynonty
« on: Friday 15 September 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
I would like to find out some information about the village of Ballynonty in Tipperary. My ancestors were from there. In some of the articles I have - circa 1830's - they mention a Courthouse and County Gaol.
Do these buildings still exist?
I have googled Ballynonty and can't find any reference to them / would the village have been much bigger back then?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballynonty
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
The Court House
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,622606,648816,10,7
don't see a court house on the newer maps so it may have closed, it was likely a Petty Sessions court so only sat once a month and dealt with minor local matters. I don't see a Goal.

Offline tlon3306

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info
Hi Sinann - What date is that map? I can see the courthouse and constabulary on it - and yes - they don't seem to be there on recent maps - this is really interesting - the population now is only 152 - I wonder what it was then and if all the villages had a police presence
Cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.glengoole.net/information/entertainment.html
Ballynonty’s Jury Room, recently renovated, also provides entertainment on Saturday Nights. The name 'Jury Room' originated from an old Court House of the same name and many locals still talk of harsh judgments being passed down to unfortunate people for mostly small misdemeanours and many being banished to Van Diemens Land.

Google images show The Jury Room as being for sale at some point but the building easily identifiable on Streetview and matching the location on the old map.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
That link is to the Historic 6" so the date is 1829 - 1841

Dates for the maps can be found here.
https://www.osi.ie/products/professional-mapping/historical-mapping/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 September 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
It looks possible that the court moved to nearby Killenaule, it has no Court House on the older 6" map but has one on the 25" map. A military barracks appears to have been converted.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,622111,646374,11,9
The Constabulary Barracks is the local police station, most places would have one, usually just an ordinary house with one room made into a cell. I know a family who live in one of these, it was a chemist shop before it became the barracks and the cell was fitted into the back hall and is now use as a pantry. Looking at the old maps the places used as the barracks often changes.

Most of the small town court houses closed in 1922, my grandparents lived in a court house, they lived downstairs the court room was the top floor and when the court closed another family moved in upstairs, the court room had partition walls put in to make four rooms, later my grandparents leased the entire house and later bought it.