Author Topic: Shocklach Manorial Records  (Read 842 times)

Offline Dawndedina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shocklach Manorial Records
« on: Saturday 16 September 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help with searching the manorial records for Shocklach please.  I have an obituary from 1920 that said my family of Davies had been at Pinfold Farm in Church Shocklach for 400 years.  I have traced Land Tax Records back to 1789 and Thomas Davies, although there are two for 1704 and 1705 even though the records say there weren't started then. 

1799 Land Tax Redemption record shows the land owner as Sir John Parnell and later the 1839 Tithe map shows Sir Henry Parnell as land owner. Did it go back further through the Parnell family?

Any help and names of previous Davies occupier would be much appreciated.  The Davies' did eventually buy the farm in 1976, presumably after renting it for over 450 years.

Thank you.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shocklach Manorial Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be a 'Shocklach' manor on the Manorial Documents Register at The National Archives.
A search on the Cheshire Record Office website seems to suggest Shocklach came under Malpas - just 3 or 4 miles away.
http://archive.cheshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DCH%2f39%2f34&pos=3
There are lots of documents at National Archives for Malpas Manor.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F240476
Looks as if mostly held by National Library of Wales at Aberystwyth.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Dawndedina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shocklach Manorial Records
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your advice.  I know Shocklach is divided into two townships, Church Shocklach and Shocklach Oviat, would that make any difference.  Pinfold Farm came under Church Shocklach. Or are the records attached to the person that owned them - maybe the Parnell family?  Thanks.