Author Topic: Rebecca Good - Ahinagh (Aghinagh) Cork - Looking for Birth Record b. ~1827-1832  (Read 4671 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Good - Ahinagh (Aghinagh) Cork - Looking for Birth Record b. ~1827-1832
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
A few comments after reading the posts here...

I did find a record for her marriage to William Harrold (his father Charles) on May 30, 1854 on FamilySearch.org, which states she was from Ahinagh, Cork and her father was James Good.
This is the extracted marriage record that you found-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXH-VVC
The database does not show the residence of bride or place of marriage (for this date usually shows the parish)- for the exact details you will need the actual certificate. It will eventually be added to Irish Genealogy site (free) so that you can view a scanned image of the certificate.

I wanted to let you know that the births I looked up on the Macroom Register were derived from a link on www.durrushhistory.com and that register is referred to as Church of Ireland
Clicking on that link I get 'unable to find' but this looks like the correct link- https://durrushistory.com/

It's not uncommon for some baptisms in a family not to appear in the register- depends on the period (are there any gaps in register?), clergyman (perhaps elderly or not making entries soon after event) or for just no obvious reason at all.

Looks like Rev. Simon Davies died in 1830 aged about 72 years-
https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Simon_Davies_(1)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Good - Ahinagh (Aghinagh) Cork - Looking for Birth Record b. ~1827-1832
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Thank you very much for the great information that you have provided to me. I did not have a copy of the Marriage License bond for James Good and Anne Bradfield from 1816 and really appreciate receiving a copy of this record from you.  Also, thank you for sending the death records for Rebecca Harold and William Harold, it is much appreciated!  I did have those records but it took me much longer to find them than you did; you're very proficient at this!

I posted the second link so you could see what the Marriage License Bonds are.
It could be a mixed marriage.

I only noticed you had the deaths after I posted them.
We usually complain people don't give enough information in their posts but in your case there is so much it can be bit difficult to take it all in. :D

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Thank you for your reply!  I am a little confused by the reference to the Catholic Marriage you mentioned and that there may be two different couples, one Catholic and the other Protestant.

I haven't see the children's baptisms yet but neither your or Barry Bradfield used the name Bardfield for Ann when posting about the baptisms so I was just voicing concern, some couples divide up their children's baptisms between both churches, so it may be you can only find the RC ones and not the COI ones.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 10:02 BST (UK) »

1) Are Ahinagh and Aghinagh the same parish/place in county Cork, just with a variation of spelling?

The different spelling is rather confusing.
The OSI mapviewer give the Historic Parish as Aghinagh but the list of COI registers gives the spelling as Ahinagh.
Generally the Historic or Civil Parish is the same area as the COI parish. See image below.

The RC parish of Aghinagh includes the Civil Parish of Aghinagh and the Civil Parish of Macroom. (at least in part)
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/civil_in_rc.php?churchid=0004&county=&church_name=Aghinagh
Macroom RC parish also includes the civil parishes of Aghinagh and Macroom
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/civil_in_rc.php?churchid=0077&county=&church_name=Macroom

So while the COI parish of Aghinagh/Ahinagh and the RC parish of Aghinagh are in the same place the RC parish is bigger.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
h

I wanted to let you know that the births I looked up on the Macroom Register were derived from a link on www.durrushhistory.com and that register is referred to as Church of Ireland, and the three births for

Ah, I messed up completely, I didn't think any of those registers survived so I assumed they were RC baptisms.
My bad sorry.

Offline Caroline NJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

You have been very helpful to me and I appreciate it!  I had a question about the marriage bond license book of Cork and Ross where the marriage bond for James Good and Anne.  Can you explain what types of marriages are in it (Protestant, Catholic, Mixed) and was the authority that produced the book Protestant or Catholic?

Where are the possible places that the couple (James and Ann Good) would have been married?  I guess I need to find out which Ann did James Good marry, if it was Ann Bradfield? Also, where did this marriage occur? I don't see it in the Macroom register.  I would imagine that it would be in a neighboring parish.  I can't imagine that she would have come from too far away?

Thank you - Caroline NJ

Offline Caroline NJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Thank you very much for the details you have provided.  I am sorry for not providing the correct link for the durrushhistory.com website location as you correctly pointed out! :-) 

There does seem to be disruptions - interruptions in the Macroom Register.  I found a record for the passing of Rev'd Simon Davies.  His burial is recorded as Buried Revd Simon Davies Rector of the Parish of Macroom aged 68 years on March 23, 1830.  The Baptisms for this period (1831-1834) are less frequent and there is notation that for the 1834-1837 period the records are on loose pages. The quality of the record entries also fall dramatically after mid-1830.  It is especially telling with the burial records.  A typical entry for a burial record (actually one of the less descriptive ones) as an example "Died in Macroom Mrs. Mary Riggs widow, aged 90 years, Buried the 6th in Ahinah". After the Rector dies the entries for burials are often only the name of the person that was buried, nothing else.

It seems in the interim the Curate, Richard Davies has filled in (Simon's son?) has filled in and then in 1834, there is a new Rector, J.M. Hallaran.  If Rebecca was born towards the end of estimated time period I figured that she could have been born (1827-1832) then the record could easily have been omitted because of these disruptions.

Besides the fact that the Rector could have gotten forgetful due to getting older and/or sickly, and not recorded some records, Could the reason be that family decided to attend a different church in the area?  There is nothing recorded after the baptism of James' and Anne's daughter, Sarah on January 20, 1825. and I am assuming that there were some other births besides the birth of Rebecca during the time period.  Just wondering if there is any other way I can check for Rebecca's birth and I was also curious if you think, based on the information I provided, that it is a good possibility that she was born to this family?

Also, I see that you provided the link here to Barry Bradfield's post. Thank you! I am wondering where he got the information on the James Good - Ann Bradfield marriage in 1816.  It is not in the Macroom Register and I am assuming that they were married in her parish.  I think that the RootsChat policy is that you cannot Private message other members until you have had three posts in the forum so perhaps I will post a reply in his Post to see if I can get an answer from him.

I have to go but will be back later to check on the post.  Again, thank you for your advice and information!

Caroline NJ

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

You have been very helpful to me and I appreciate it!  I had a question about the marriage bond license book of Cork and Ross where the marriage bond for James Good and Anne.  Can you explain what types of marriages are in it (Protestant, Catholic, Mixed) and was the authority that produced the book Protestant or Catholic?

Where are the possible places that the couple (James and Ann Good) would have been married?  I guess I need to find out which Ann did James Good marry, if it was Ann Bradfield? Also, where did this marriage occur? I don't see it in the Macroom register.  I would imagine that it would be in a neighboring parish.  I can't imagine that she would have come from too far away?

Thank you - Caroline NJ

I only know what it says on the web site, that the marriages are Protestant and the license was granted by the ecclesiastical courts of the Church of Ireland.
Marriages usually took place in the brides parish.
You know the marriage happened in 1816 so I guess you need to see if records for Ahinagh and or Macroom survive for that time.
As Barry Bradfield had MLB after the marriage it would appear he got the information from the same index of Marriage License Bonds as I did and not from a parish register.