Author Topic: William Burroughs marriage to Ann  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Burroughs marriage to Ann
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 September 17 16:54 BST (UK) »

The last baptism on  Ancestry for Wickham is Samuel CARTER 27 April 1800

Looking at the Enumeration Notes on the 1861 census for Welford Berkshire and Samuel CARTER

' The enumerator's notes' on Dsitrct 12 talks about Wickham Heath.....'

Will type out ....

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 September 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
1861 Census

Superintendent's Registrar's District: NEWBURY

Registrar's Sub-District: SPEEN

Enumeration District: No 12

Description and Boundary of Enumeration District, part of WELFORD Parish District No 12

Part of the Parish of WELFORD.  All the houses and cottages on the left side of the road from Hangmanstone to, but not including (Orpenham Farm and cottages) comprising Welford Village, Easton, that part of the village of WICKHAM which is the left side of the road, Hee Benham - the Halfway Farms and Houses - Sole Farm and the cottages on WICKHAM HEATH which lie in WELFORD bounded by Kintbury, Hampstead Marshall - SPEEN and Boxford Parishes.

WICKHAM starts on page 25 up to page 28 of 30 pages

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 September 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, Capetown.

As far as I can tell, James and Hannah had only 3 children, all baptised in Speen: John (1721); Jane (my line) 1723, and James 1729, buried same year. I've been trying to remember how I found these baptisms but I can't - I just know that the Newbury area of Berks isn't exactly readily available with its PRs. As far as I can remember (we're talking a decade ago!) they were all baptised in C of E establishments.

I have a burial date for Hannah in Speen in 1757. So, I'm not sure about the 1737 baptism in Wickham.

3 interesting points:

The Quaker marriage in 1682 of James May's probable parents John & Mary (Weston) states that John is from the parish of Bucklebury (another parish whose PRs aren't that available) and that Mary is the daughter of William Weston.

I found a Quaker burial on FindMyPast for William Weston (father of Mary) 1681, contained in the Newbury etc Quaker meeting but it states he's from Ore - and the only Ore I can find on the map is near Hastings on the south coast, so these meeting houses must have covered a huge area.

Sure enough, there's a Quaker (Newbury) birth for Mary Weston in 1663 d/o William & Martha and again residence is Ore.

Anyone else as confused as I am???
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 September 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Capetown, I think out last posts must have crossed.

So, if Hannah Burroughs/Barrone really did hail from Wick Ham and not Wick, Hants, I need to be looking for her in Welford parish?
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 September 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
?

Is BARRONE : BARROSS

As looking on Google for: English Phoentic Surnames Alias 1750-1800 we have for

BURROWS/BURROUGHS - alias BARROSS

e.g.

National Archives

Will : 30 May 1797

Will of Thomas BARROSS otherwise BURROWS, Private Soldier in Major Rook's Company the 100th Regiment :

---

As they married by Licence - the non-conformist background may be correct.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 September 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
Crikey, Capetown, you're confusing me even more now!

My own opinion is that its down to mistranscription somewhere along the line. You know what these things are like - Chinese Whispers - and eventually they're regurgitated as fact. Looking at the original  Quaker entry for Hannah's birth, it could easily read Barrow or Barron.

I'm going to make a note of what we've found and write it up under 'Possible'. I have so many of them!!

Thanks to both of you for all your help, 
Jill
HELP!!!