Author Topic: Marcus Van Valkenburg Indictment 4th August 1668  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
Marcus Van Valkenburg Indictment 4th August 1668
« on: Sunday 24 September 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have recently discovered an ancestral connection to Marcus Van Valkenburg, and found a charge sheet dated 1668 associated with him, but can't decipher hardly a word.

I know its a big ask, but if anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

It seems that Marcus Van Valkenburg moved from the Netherlands to England at a very interesting time in European history. I wondered therefore whether this document relates in any way to what was going on between the English and Dutch or Catholics and Protestants during the 17th century?

Once again, thanks for any help with this.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Van Valkenburg Indictment 4th August 1668
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, the Valkenburg family had dealings with Vermuyden's draining of the land around Hatfield Chace, there is another thread here which I have had some input on.

Frank.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=772350.27
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Frank, for the info. Do you know how these Dutch families came to be in Nottinghamshire?

Lindsey

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, back again  :)

If the name at the bottom left margin on the document could be something along the lines of "John Midforth?" then this could relate to it, same time frame, 1668.

Page 62 and part of page 63.

Frank.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4k0PDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=valkenburgh+and+the+drainage+of+hatfield+chase&source=bl&ots=j04LR8NNWa&sig=NUgpmRkIKEk-2Byb4HVxhDYrP1c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOooDZur7WAhUIPBQKHT6dDscQ6AEISTAF#v=onepage&q=valkenburgh%20and%20the%20drainage%20of%20hatfield%20chase&f=true
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
John Midforth is mentioned several times in the document.

A John Mordare is also mentioned.

You'll need a better reader of the Latin than I am for the bulk of the meaning.

By the way, it is Yorkshire, not Nottinghamshire, and your man is an Armiger = Esquire.

This may be helpful:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/collectionsindepth/water/hatfieldchase.aspx

ADDED:

One further point - on the fourth line is the phrase vi et armis, which means by force of arms.

This is typically used in an indictment.

ADDED 2:

Just saw Indictment in the heading.  Sorry for being obvious.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Frank,

It does look as though the link you sent relates to it, as the extract includes the quotation "mastiff dogg", which I have since noticed mentioned in the indictment.  :D

Thank you too Horselydown, for this link. It gives a really good insight into what was going on in the area and while we shouldn't make assumptions, the circumstances suggest it might relate to tensions in the area between the locals, and the Dutch engineers carrying out the drainage works.

A side note: (very slightly) weirdly, Marcus Van Valkenberg was an ancestor of someone born in East Retford, who ended up in Horselydown!  :)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
...and while we shouldn't make assumptions, the circumstances suggest it might relate to tensions in the area between the locals, and the Dutch engineers carrying out the drainage works....................................................

Hi, You could say that  ;)

The book to read regarding it is entitled

"Manuscript in the Red Box" if you can get hold of it, it relates to the area in that time, a work of fiction but a good read, there is a downloadable edition on the "Crowle Community Forum" I believe.

Frank.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Van Valkenburge
Marcus Armiger
Ac q(uo)d Marcus Van-Valkenburge nup(er) de Levell inf(ra) p(ar)ochiam
de Hatefeild in Com(itatu) Ebor’ Armiger Vicessimo die April(is) Anno Regni
d(omi)ni n(ost)ri Carol(i) s(e)c(un)di dei grac(ia) Angl(ie) Scoc(ie) Franc(ie) et Hibernie Regis
fidei defensoris &c. Vicessimo vi et armis &c. ap(u)d Hatefeild
p(re)d(icta) in Le Westridd(ing) Com(itatu) p(re)d(icta) in et sup(er) quendam Joh(ann)em
Midforth in pace dei et d(i)c(t)i d(omi)ni Regis ad tunc et ibi(de)m existen(tem)
insult(um) et affraiam fecit et ip(s)um Joh(ann)em Midforth ad tunc et
ibi(de)m verberavit vulneravit et maletractavit et cu(m) vi(...) Cane(...)
(ang(li)ce one Mastive dogg) ip(su)m Joh(ann)em Mordare attemptavit (ang(li)ce
did attempte ^and sett on^ him to bite)  Ita quod de vita eius maxime
desp(er)abat(ur) et al(ia) enormia ei intulit ad gr(av)e dampnu(m) ip(s)ius
Joh(ann)is Midforth ac Contra pacem d(i)c(t)i d(omi)ni Regis nunc Coron(am)
et dignitat(em) suas

Test(is)
Joh(ann)es Midforth
jur(atus)

Marcus Van Valkenburge, Esquire
And (the jury presents) that Marcus Van Valkenburge Esquire, lately of Levell within the parish of Hatfield in the county of York, on the twentieth day of April in the twentieth year of the reign of our Lord Charles the Second, by the grace of God King of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, by force and arms etc. at Hatfield aforesaid, in the West Riding of the county aforesaid, did make an assault and affray on and upon a certain John Midforth, being then and there in the peace of God and of the said Lord King, and did then and there strike, wound and ill-treat the same John Midforth, and with the force of a dog (in English, one Mastive dogg) did attempt to bite (in English, did attempte and sett on him to bite) the same John so that he was very greatly in fear for his life, and inflicted other outrages on him to the serious harm of the same John Midforth, and against the peace of the said now Lord King, his Crown and Dignity.
Witness – John Midforth, sworn

at the top - po(nit) se vj = puts himself (before the jury) six (possibly sixpence, to be paid as a fine).

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
I wish there was a "Like" button for posts.

Frank.