Author Topic: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness  (Read 5805 times)

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness
« on: Monday 25 September 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone can help with this please.  I have a birth for Agnes Shilland Davren at 20 Dickson Street, Leith, on 21 January 1891- Father: Arthur Davren, Dyer, Mother: Catherine McDiarmid, Birth registered by Catherine Davren - Mother.  Parents married 24 August, 1889 in Inverness. 
I cannot, however, find this marriage.  I have Catherine McDairmid's birth, 14/1/1864 in Inverness, when her surname is spelt McDermaid - Father: Angus McDermaid Mother: Elizabeth McLeod and Catherine's death 19/10/1944 also in Inverness.
It is the Davren name I am researching and I need to see the Marriage Certificate for his parents names to ensure it is the correct Arthur Davren.
I will be most grateful for any help or direction.  isk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

The 1891 Census in Cheshire England has -
Arthur Devren 36 glove dyer
Catherine Devren 25
Agnes Devren 0
All born Scotland

Can't see a likely marriage in Scotland  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello ev

Many thanks for such a quick response.  I was afraid this might be the case.  isk

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Have had a look also but cannot see anything obvious. The only Arthur Davren marriage is in 1898 to Annie Gow in Maryhill. I do not know if you spotted that Agnes Shilland's birth is registered twice- in Leith South and Blackfriars, Glasgow. This could mean they were either resident in Leith or Glasgow and the baby was born in Glasgow or Leith. You get double registrations where the place of birth is different from the place of residence (in theory). From the index entries it would appear that the Davren surname in concentrated in the Glasgow Area in this period. There is also a birth for a Agnes Shilling in Dennistoun in 1900.

Eric

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
Can't see any obvious marriage either, but I think your Arthur Davren may be the son of Arthur Davren/Devlan/Devlin/Develin, who married Agnes Shilland in 1846 in Glasgow.

Here they are in 1851 in Barony (spellings as per FreeCen transcription):

- Arthur Develin, head, 27, weaver, Kilbarchan, Renfrew
- Agnes Davelin, wife, 23, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Margaret Davelin, daughter, 10m, Glasgow, Lanarkshire

And in 1861, Glasgow Bridgeton (spellings as per Ancestry transcription):

- Arthur Doulin, head 32, carpet weaver, Kilbarchan, Renfrew
- Agnes Doulin, wife 32, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Margaret, Doulin, daughter, 10, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Alexander Doulin, son, 8, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Arthur Doulin, son, 6, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Agnes Doulin, daughter, 5, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Elizabeth Doulin, daughter, 1, Glasgow, Lanarkshire

There is a birth for an Elizabeth Devlin, to Arthur Devlin and Agnes Shilland in 1859, Glasgow Calton; and an Agnes Devlin to the same couple, Glasgow Bridgeton in 1857.

And in 1871, Glasgow Calton (spellings as per Ancestry transcription):

- Arthur Davren, 42, glove dyer (master), Kilbarchan, Renfrew
- Agnes Davren, 42, glove dyer’s wife, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Margaret Davren, 20,  tailoress, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Arthur Davren, 16, glove dyer and cleaner, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Agnes Davren, 16, tailoress, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- Elizabeth Davren, 12, Glasgow Lanarkshire
- William Davren, 10, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
- John Davren, 7, Perth, Perthshire

There’s a birth for a John Devlin, to Arthur Devlin and Agnes Shilland in 1864 in Perth; and a William Douglas Devlin in 1861 in Glasgow Bridgeton.

Can't obviously see any of the family in 1881, but with such variation in spelling, it's a bit of a thankless task  ::)

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eric and Ruth for your replies.  As you say the variations in spelling makes for interesting research.  This family tree, for a surprise at a 70th birthday celebration in November, is the first research which I have tackled from just a birth certificate, knowing nothing more about the subject. It has made me ever more thankful for, Scottish BMD certificates and my close proximity to Glasgow and the Genealogy Centre in the Mitchell Library.  I will take time to absorb all this information on Wednesday, as ironing and a wonderful apple crop must be dealt with tomorrow.  I really am most grateful for your time and interest.  isk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This may be of interest as it contains McDiarmid/McDermaid (Inverness-shire)

http://www.inmygenes.me.uk/boag.html

Found while searching for something else!

You need to scroll to 2nd heading "Janets Grandparents were" then further down.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing marriage for Arthur Davren PLEASE HELP FURTHER!!!! YOU FOUND MY FAMILY
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 October 19 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Isk, Ruth and other responders to the above forum.
I hope this can get to at least one of you as I see the post is a few years old.

My name is Samantha Tunstall (maiden name DAVREN) I Live in Queensland, Australia, but have been searching for my heritage in Glasgow Scotland for many years.
And I believe you have found my family.
I have searched for the Davren family name for over 8 years but have always come to a block and got nowhere fast thanks to the ever changing variations of the last name.
Growing up I was told the spelling had been changed somewhere along the line as the family were convicts trying to escape the law. (for what reason no one has ever known)
I was never too sure if that was the entire truth or an old family tale that was passed down.
Then My Granddad John Davren passed away a few years ago and I decided to search the family History again. He was the most brilliant, honest and wise and kind hearted man I have ever met and was very proud to be a DAVREN. (and raise Future Davren's once he arrived in Australian to live a happy life) He didn't like his father or his grandfather. they drank which led to them hitting their wives and children and by the sounds of it changed their name more than once to escape something. His passing and the fact that the DAVREN name could die when my brother leaves this earth as he is the very last male that could possibly pass it down now gave me great inspiration to try again. But I could never get any further back than finding out where my Great Grandfather was born because I was unaware of the name variations.
Until tonight when I came across your post here and I'm 100% sure that the 7 year old boy John Davren from Perth, Perthshire from 1871 Glasgow Calton is my great grandfather. And I know that his older brother William was my grandads uncle because he had a brother called billy (William) and as per Scottish tradition it is an honour to name your first born child or children after yourself

So I am asking for some help if any of you see this post. Please help me to finish what I started 8 long years ago. You all have already made my heart swell with happiness that I came across this post and have found more information than I have ever been able to obtain about my family History,
so please if you have anymore information or advice you could give me as to where to look, I would be forever in your debt,
Thank you kindly

I will leave with the information I have and why I am convinced you have found the right Davren family. Something I have always failed to do. So even if no one gets back to me or there is no more history to be found. Thank you from the bottom of my heart (and my Dads heart, who has failed to find anything informative himself over the many years)

*My name is Samantha Josephine Tunstall (Maiden Name) Davren born 13/03/1987: Born Berwick, Vic, Australia
*I Have a brother whose name is Bradley John Davren born 21/08/1985: Born Vic, Australia
*Our parents are Suzanne April Davren (MN) Bysouth: Born 16/03/1960 Born Victoria, Australia
*and John James Davren: Born 07/07/1959: Born in Glasgow
  John James Davren's Sister Patricia Brumby (MN) Davren: Born 10/09/1962
*Their parents and my grandparents Patricia Davren (MN) Parks: Born I Think 18/12/1935? and John Davren: Born 16/02/1936 in Glasgow before coming to Australia to live via boat in 1962 or 1963.
John Davren passed away In Caloundra Hospice care home in Queensland, Australia in January 2013 just 1 month shy of his 77th Birthday.
My dad has also mentioned he thinks the name of the boat that his sister and parents came to Australia on was called Fairsky or Fairs pacific . My dad says he was around 3 years old and his sister was around 1.5 years old

Thank you again
Samantha Tunstall
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 October 19 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Samantha

I will happily go back and look out my Davren research.  It won't be before the weekend I'm afraid but  I will be in touch then.  isk