Author Topic: Whats Love Got To Do With It?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whats Love Got To Do With It?
« on: Monday 25 September 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
I had a good parent and a bad parent.

Bad parent physically and emotionally abusive - childhood not a happy time!

As a result I have no interest at all in researching the bad parents family history - no interest at all.

Family History Tree a bit lop sided!

Anyone else find it difficult to research the lives of the relatives they don't like?

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Love Got To Do With It?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
Have no experience of this kind of issue at all but all I would say is that surely this bad parent might simply be one bad node on a branch - the whole branch won't necessarily be like that but you will continue to think that unless you do a bit of exploration.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
No, I had an extremely world travel, educationally and materially rich and a lonely, isolated, emotionally poor childhood, one died when I was 17, the other moved home when I was just 21 without telling me or me knowing where they were moving to. I started researching aged 23yrs old and have researched both sides
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 06:38 BST (UK) »
Have no experience of this kind of issue at all but all I would say is that surely this bad parent might simply be one bad node on a branch - the whole branch won't necessarily be like that but you will continue to think that unless you do a bit of exploration.

Pheno

I agree with Pheno.  I would be wanting to know if there was any history of similar behaviour
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
I agree with Pheno.  I would be wanting to know if there was any history of similar behaviour

I agree too.  It's a mistake to get too emotionally involved, tho I understand your reasons.  Just concentrate on the interesting surprises you may turn up - how did people meet, when they came from far-apart places; why was the wife 10 years older than the husband, etc. ....

Sorting out apparent discrepancies between records can be an interesting challenge too.  And question and test everything you find.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:28 BST (UK) »
I understand your feelings, especially when it is such a close relative, but one unpleasant person does not mean the whole family would be the same.

It is worth remembering that we are made up of genes from both our parents, so their ancestry is an equally important part of our makeup.

I would want to discover as much as I could of both sides of my family, warts and all. You may even be pleasantly surprised at what you find, or conversely you may find an explanation for you parent's behaviour, which may help you in coming to terms with it
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
"As a result I have no interest at all in researching the bad parents family history - no interest at all."

But it is not only the "bad parents" history- it is yours- and you are missing half of your story.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 19 19:14 BST (UK) »
I think that would make me even more determined to do the research in an attempt to understand more about what factors impacted on the bad parent’s behaviour.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
Very strange, our researches.

I always found researching my mother's paternal family hard and depressing.  It was difficult to do - they were in the East End of London and lived very poor lives, and weren't easily tracked down in records - didn't seem to marry, and the names were very common ones.

I think that this depressed feeling came from two particular conversations -
the first from my mother, who said she was 'afraid of her father', as he used to come home from the pub drunk
and the second from my father, who said that my mother was the best by a considerable way from a not particularly nice family.

I wonder whether this influenced my research which - as I say - wasn't easy anyway.

However, finding out about them and discovering the real hardships they went through has illuminated my thoughts about them. And at the very least, it's made me appreciate my mother even more for her energy and determination.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex