Author Topic: Help with 15th century Wills  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 15th century Wills
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 September 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
John was clearly the husband of Ellen who left her Will in 1498, but I wonder if the two daughters he names (Isabel and Benedicta) were born to her or a different wife since she (Ellen) doesn't name them.

He also mentions "Alice Peryn" and Marion Peryn", do you think these are the same Alice and Marion who are mentioned in Ellen's Will? Clearly from both Wills there is a link with the Peryn family.

I wonder who the "Thomas Assherst of Kingesnoth" is? I suspect he might be a brother, what do you think? The "Henr(y) Assherst" mentioned near the end of the last extract could be a relative as well.

From the wills as seen so far ...

John Assherst had at least 4 children (William, John, Isabel and Benedicta).

His wife Ellen had at least 3 children (John Peryn, Marion Peryn and Alice Peryn).

My guess is that both John Assherst and Ellen had been married before (Ellen to a Mr Peryn), and that all the children named here were from those previous marriages. But it’s only a guess, and there may be other scenarios.

There are no clues here about the relationships of Thomas and Henry Assherst – they could be brothers or cousins or ...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 September 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Bookbox - I hadn't noticed that the thread had switched into English.

I think the place in extract 9 is: ...Bevir at Bevir...

It's definitely scole = school above, in my opinion.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 29 September 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
I think the place in extract 9 is: ...Bevir at Bevir...

Thanks, HD. Bevir looks good. See here, on Ashford ...

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/pp526-545
... such part of the borough of Rudlow as lies adjoining to Kingsnoth, is said to lie in in jugo de Beavor, or the yoke of Beavor, and is divided from the town and liberty by the river, near a place called Pollbay; in which yoke there is both a hamlet and a green or common, of the name of Beavor ...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 29 September 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
...in which yoke there is both a hamlet and a green or common, of the name of Beavor ...

Perfect outcome.  Thanks.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
John Assherst extract 7
time forseid unto the tyme that my seid ij sonnes com(m)e to their seid age of xviij yer(es)
And of the seid p(ro)fit(es) of my seid lond(es) & ten(emen)t(es) com(m)yng unto the tyme that my seid
ij Sonnes com(m)e to their seid age I will that Elene my Wiff have xxli to her to be
delyv(er)ed and assigned by my seid feffees And the Residue of the p(ro)ffit(es) of all my

John Assherst extract 8
seid lond(es) & ten(emen)t(es) of the p(ro)fit(es) of the time forseid be receyved and kepte by my seid
feffees to thuse of my seid ij sonnes unto the tyme thei com(m)e to their age of xviij
yer(es) forseid Then the seid Residue above their fyndyng in som(m)e(?) forseid to theym
to be delyv(er)ed by my seid feffees by evyn porcions  Also I will that as sone as

John Assherst extract 9
William my Elder son com(m)yth to the age of xviij yer(es) that then my seid
feffees suff(er) the same William my son to take & p(er)ceyff all thissues & p(ro)ffit(es) of
my principall place which I dwell in called Ber(...?) at Ber(...?) w(i)t(h) all the lond(es)
therto app(er)teynyng lyeing & beying w(i)t(h)in the p(ar)issh of Assheford forseid that
is to sey the brok(es) all Copilond(es) all my lond(es) at Barrowe Hill & my lond(es) called
brodetreis non(?) of my lond(es) excepte to my son William ...

=====
xxli – 20 pounds
thuse – the use
thissues – the issues
brokes – brooks
brodetreis – perhaps Broad Trees, or similar?

Hiya

Thanks for those updates. I think I may have over-cropped the sections but hopefully I can piece these sections together. Unfortunately it was difficult to divide it into sections easily as the lines were very close together and sloped downwards in a lot of places. However I should be able to work the gist of it out.

I think I am slowly being able to put together a tree for John and Ellen Essheherst/Asshhurst based on these Wills.

Many Thanks for the continued help on this.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
John was clearly the husband of Ellen who left her Will in 1498, but I wonder if the two daughters he names (Isabel and Benedicta) were born to her or a different wife since she (Ellen) doesn't name them.

He also mentions "Alice Peryn" and Marion Peryn", do you think these are the same Alice and Marion who are mentioned in Ellen's Will? Clearly from both Wills there is a link with the Peryn family.

I wonder who the "Thomas Assherst of Kingesnoth" is? I suspect he might be a brother, what do you think? The "Henr(y) Assherst" mentioned near the end of the last extract could be a relative as well.

From the wills as seen so far ...

John Assherst had at least 4 children (William, John, Isabel and Benedicta).

His wife Ellen had at least 3 children (John Peryn, Marion Peryn and Alice Peryn).

My guess is that both John Assherst and Ellen had been married before (Ellen to a Mr Peryn), and that all the children named here were from those previous marriages. But it’s only a guess, and there may be other scenarios.

There are no clues here about the relationships of Thomas and Henry Assherst – they could be brothers or cousins or ...

I agree, John and Ellen had clearly been married (to someone else) before. Could Ellen have been married to the Mr Peter Peryn mentioned in one the Wills? I am cross referencing the Wills for any clues.

I suspect that John was previously married to a woman named Isabella or Benedicta, but that's only based on the names in his Will.

I've noticed that there are a lot of mentions of connections to Kingsnorth in and Rodmersham in the Wills. There are 5 Assheherst (or Ayssherst) in Kingsnorth including a Richard in 1464 and one in 1540, and a Thomas Ayssherst in 1473. On top of this there are two Asherst (or Assheherst) wills in Great Chart.

Rodmersham is mentioned in Ellen's Will and I've found three possible leads. There is an Act for John Peryn (1509) and two Wills, Richard Peryn (1474) and William Peryn (1482)

As we know John mentions "Thomas Assherst of Kingesnorth" as one of his executors. It's possible he is related to the Asshehersts in the above Wills.

Next time I get a chance to look at the Wills I'll see if these provide any helpful clues.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Here's sections 10 and 11 of the 1492 Will of John Assherst. The top line on extract 10 is a repeat of the last line of extract 9 (you'll see what I mean). Extract 11 starts with a repeat of the second to last line of extract 10. Hopefully that makes sense.

Next up extract 12 which appears to be the last bit I have for this Will on file. I will post the rest when I find it.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 September 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
Here's image 12 as promised.

matt

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 September 17 05:08 BST (UK) »
Extract 10:

...p(ar)issh of Assheford but only a pece of land lyeng at heanwoode wtin the p(ar)isshe

called heyfeld except & r(e)s(er)ved to John my son All which seid p(ro)fites of thise

landes forseid the seid William my son to receyve tyll he com(m)eth to the age

of xxij yeres And when he com(m)eth to that age then I will that my forseid

feffeis delyv(er) a sufficient & laufull estate in fee simple to the seid William...

heanwoode could also be heavwoode