Author Topic: Tom Jones aka "Burgy Ben" (1867-1952) - Champion Wrestler of Lancashire  (Read 807 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tom Jones aka "Burgy Ben" (1867-1952) - Champion Wrestler of Lancashire
« on: Tuesday 26 September 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
My current post is about the 126lb Lancashire Wrestling Champion - Tom Jones aka "Burgy Ben" (1867-1952). Tom became one of the major stars among Lancashire lightweights in the 1890's along with his major opponents Jem Mellor and Sam Moores. In 1907 he won the biggest tournament in history of British wrestling (over 65 participants), the 9st Championship, it was organized by Chicago magnate John Calvin Brown and held at White City, Manchester. It lasted few weeks (October 8th - October 26th 1907). I have all of his results from that tourney and I would highly appreciate any info (articles/photos) on Tom Jones, few years ago Wigan's Past Forward published an article on him. Thanks, Kind regards, Ruslan Pashayev

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Jones aka "Burgy Ben" (1867-1952) - Champion Wrestler of Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
The British Newspaper Archive has numerous reports on him as a wrestler and then timekeeper from 1889 to 1917 - http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Also available on Findmypast.

David

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Jones aka "Burgy Ben" (1867-1952) - Champion Wrestler of Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I am registered on BNA and have collected all articles they have on him. I think article in Past Forward was written by his grandsons - Tom and Donald Ralph.